Linux is in!

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Allen M.

Linux is in!

Post by Allen M. »

Just got Linux up and running a few minutes ago after an all-nighter installation. Some adjustments need to be made to screen and maybe a few other things, but it looks like a winner.

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
Allen M.

Linux is in!

Post by Allen M. »

Test from Linux PC.

Yup! Looks like UNIX to me.

------------------
Dakkon 98

Linux is in!

Post by Dakkon 98 »

Allen,
Which flavor did u go with?
Allen M.

Linux is in!

Post by Allen M. »

<center><font color=red><u>Coolest thing under the SUN.</u></font></center>

I’ve been under the SUN for the past several and decided to do future development at home under a like OS to get better at it faster for the professional end, therefore I plan to do any and all software development using UNIX tools. [I’m getting a Silicon Graphics machine to use next month, oh boy, and there’s a CRAY near it that I want to get my hot little hands on too, just to see if it is as fast as my AMD – a slight motivation for boning up on UNIX at home] as competition is fierce.

With that said, it was a toss-up between Red Hat and SuSE. For several weeks at Best Buy, I’ve held the red box in one hand and the green box in the other hand and made line-by-line comparisons. One day it was one, another day it was the other. I was going to go with Red Hat because it is advertising Linux 7.2 while SuSE is only 7.1.

I’m sure RH has it included, but nowhere to be found on the RH box were development tools, while SuSE advertised development tools right on their box. That was the tiebreaker for me, and the only reason I selected SuSE over RH.

No dual-boot -- Yet! I wanted to get this up and running as effortlessly and as smoothly as possible, so I installed a spare 40 gig IDE drive then booted from the CD-ROM. Thwe installation screen came up and I bypassed the two SCSI drives and said “do it to the EIDE!” Now if I want NT I’ll direct the BIOS to boot SCSI first. Most of the time, however, it’ll be a Linux machine.

SuSE’s Installation went smoother than any NT or W2K installation I’ve ever done, their installer is flawless. I installed the 1st CD, answered a few questions, hit <return>, put the 2nd CD in later, went to bed, every time I got up to make the rounds I popped in the next CD and then went back to bed. At about 4am or so, the installation was complete. Cycled it and NT a few times, did very minor exploring and then went back to bed satisfied that it did it all right.

Just got home a little ago, and started it up. Looks real good. All I really want out of this is a few x-terms and good c++ tools but I got much, much more. EVERYTHING, I mean EVERYTHING worked right the first time from defaults: The monitor, the graphics card, the sound card, the CD-RW, the network setup including Netscape and email, and it’s got a GUI desktop that I can even write home to mom about; real slick. I didn’t really expect it, but it resembles windows, only much better a-la-UNIX.

Not sure what RH has for a GUI desktop, but this GUI is numero uno!
It also comes with an Office pack, not Ms. Office, though. I may spring for the Linux Word Perfect Office, though. But only much later after I scrape up enough cash to pay my rent first so I don’t get evicted.

------------------
Dakkon 98

Linux is in!

Post by Dakkon 98 »

Allen,
Which GUI Desktop are you messing with? KDE,GNOME,X-Windows or GIMP?
I liked Mandrake but the lack of hardware support for the "Madcow" drove me back to Windoze. Mandrake had the best Hardware support of the RH, SuSe, Mandrake trio.
As far as developers tools I think they all are even.
Man you are going to love it when and if you can get your hands on that CRAY @ home Image Image

Chuck
Allen M.

Linux is in!

Post by Allen M. »

KDE. GIMP and X are in there according to the manuals. I'm interested, primarily in the c++ compiler plus debugging tools. I built a couple of source code files and was able to comple, link, and run them ok so those tools are in place. I know xemacs and might want to play with vi. Apparently one can write scripts using any shell and the kernel recognizes it [looks like, so far].

Had three problems. 1) Wanted to see if I could crank the monitor frequency up, but could not find out where to do it. 2) I.E. doesn't sem to have a version for Linux, and 2) Netscrape's 6.x would not download.

I have never seen a CRAY, only have seen pictures of them and know about them and what they can do. This could be fun.

------------------

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”