VHS to DVD OR CDROM

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

VHS to DVD OR CDROM

Post by Guest »

I need some help from you techi types. Keep in mind that I am illiterate so K.I.S.S. is an issue.

I have many VHS tapes that will eventually wear out or break. How do I convert my martial arts library to a CDRom or DVD format?

I do not have a burner installed at the moment but think it's time to bite the bullet and shell out for one.

How do I transfer the tapes on to disks?

Laird
Allen M.

VHS to DVD OR CDROM

Post by Allen M. »

Laird,

You loose soooo much converting from tape to CD that it is not worth the time if you wish to convert to CDs as the new master copies. mpeg is a lossy conversion and you will loose important detail.

DVD is a whole 'nother story and my 1st recommendation. I saw a DVD recorder on the internet for 800 bux a few weeks ago. If you have the resources, that's the way to go. A quick internet seach for "DVD recorders" should expose it.

Insofar as tapes are concerned, I recommend or either digital [best] or hi-8 [close to best but much less expensive] tape for masters.

Videotapes deteriorate over time. It is the coating, often some sort of metallic oxide, that wears off or decomposes with contact with air. The sooner you make a high-quality "master" of often-used tapes, the better-off you'll be.

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera

VHS to DVD OR CDROM

Post by Guest »

Thanks Allen ,looks like I'm in the market for a DVD recorder. Always wanted one now I've got an excuse to buy one. Image

Laird
Dakkon 98

VHS to DVD OR CDROM

Post by Dakkon 98 »

Laird,
A DVD burner would be nice! There is a Hitachi out on the market for $500
Model 2050 (SCSI) or 2000 (IDE)
Here is the link to Hitachi's DVD web page: DVD
There is also a Pioneer on the market for ~$800. Click here for more info.
For those who like external drives and have a firewire port available check out this bad boy Mega Que!
Only catch is the blank media ranges from $12-$60 a blank.
Those would be expensive "coasters"
LeeDarrow

VHS to DVD OR CDROM

Post by LeeDarrow »

Laird,

'Couple of things the others haven't mentioned - connecting this puppy up to your VHS recorder.

This can be problematic with some units, so, when you go in to buy the DVD ram recorder, make sure they supply you with everything you will need to dub these tapes to DVD.

You will need to know the make and model of your VHS recorder so they can check to make sure you have the right cables and everything.

Also, be aware that DVD dubbing, without some sort of cleaner software (software that helps sharpen out the loss of quality from making a copy of a copy) will not give you copies that are as good as the originals, so look into what features your recorder has for this use. If it has none, you might look into computer-based software to do that for you. Cleaner is a good choice, but at $500 or so, it's pricey and requires you to have a computer system to run it. It is also time consuming to run.

Remember - the more bells and whistles on the box, the more it will cost you.

I also recommend Digital Video magazine as a resource. It's a CMP publication and should be available in most areas (though you will probably have to look for it). While a lot of it may be initially over your head, it's not too hard to catch the drift of what they're talking about after a bit.

Hope this helps!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
Sales Manager
Computer Innovations, Inc.
Chicago, IL

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by uglyelk:
I need some help from you techi types. Keep in mind that I am illiterate so K.I.S.S. is an issue.

I have many VHS tapes that will eventually wear out or break. How do I convert my martial arts library to a CDRom or DVD format?

I do not have a burner installed at the moment but think it's time to bite the bullet and shell out for one.

How do I transfer the tapes on to disks?

Laird

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”