Never ending saga!

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

gmattson
Site Admin

Never ending saga!

Post by gmattson »

Verison finally hooked up my dsl two weeks ago. . . and it worked for about 3 days! Then for no reason, it was cut off! After a couple of days of phoning Verison, they admitted they screwed up and shut me down.

OK, how long to get it back???

Hmmm.. Well Mr. Mattson, first we must officially disconnect you! Them we must process the paper work to get you hooked up again. We'll naturally put a rush on it, so plan on a couple of weeks!

Well I went bonkers! What an incredible company. The tech people can't talk to the installation division, so the most communications is by memo. The only way to deal with a screw-up is to formally disconnect the customer and re-enter the order!

After threatening a lawsuit and asking to talk with the president of Verison, I eventually was promised special treatment.

Two days ago a supervisor called me and happily announced that all was well and she could pretty much guarentee that my NEW dsl service would be hooked up by July 16th!

I hung up on her and started calling everyone I could think of at Verison. Eventually my folder (which must be three inches thick) has made the rounds and has become a lesson in what NOT to do in business!

Finally I reached someone who got my dsl turned on in two days. (yesterday)

I'll let you know when they shut me down again!

Anyone know how to get in touch with the group that has filed a class action lawsuit against Verison? I'm certainly a good prospect.

Anyway... now that I'm capable of updating the site I learned that the server that hosts the main page of this site is having problems. I can receive data but unable to update pages.

Isn't the Internet wonderful???? %#$@&%^$

------------------
GEM
Allen M.

Never ending saga!

Post by Allen M. »

I'll bet your face was beet-red all the way down to your bellybutton, George.

I'm pretty pissed at my DSL service, they mucked me over here, only I don't have either the patience or the time to screw around. Time to get a satellite connection if that exists in this area here yet.

Or back to 56 k modem when life was so simple.
Scott Danziger

Never ending saga!

Post by Scott Danziger »

Do you guys have cable? It works pretty well here on Long Island. There may be some bumbs here and there but better than DSL. We also have Verizon here. They ****** both as a broadband provider and a phone company.
Dakkon98

Never ending saga!

Post by Dakkon98 »

George,
Have you checked into Sprint Broadband? It's wireless dsl and is faster then cable so far down here in Fl. Or Dare i mention Earthlink dsl?

Chuck
Valkenar

Never ending saga!

Post by Valkenar »

At work we use Verio's DSL, the damn thing goes down all the time. Every time it rains, for example. I definitely agree that broadband is the way to go. If you need a static IP you can usually register a domain name for it (I use roadrunner in Medford, and you can get XXXXXX.ne.mediaone.net for free along with the service if you request it)
gmattson
Site Admin

Never ending saga!

Post by gmattson »

I guess it's an area thing! I've heard more negative comments about broadband than compliments. Depends on how many of your neighbors are using it.

We use Sprint long distance. Haven't heard about their wireless dsl. I'll be watching for it though.
Dakkon 98

Never ending saga!

Post by Dakkon 98 »

George,
Have you checked Sprints web page for availablity in your area? Here is the link check
Plus have you checked out DSL Reports for the info. regarding that lawsuit.
LeeDarrow

Never ending saga!

Post by LeeDarrow »

From where I sit (in a Sales Manager's seat for a software development/web design company as a day job)the fallout in the DSL business sector is still going on. Until the dust settles, it will be difficult to see who will be left standing.

Satellite is still in its infancy as far as market penetration and again, there are standards issues still going on, though that should not be as big a problem as the companies that were doing pass-through sales of DSL service at cut rates (when they were leasing the service themselves and got caught in a rate hike that they could not pass along to their customers!).

Personally, I would go with something like Earthlink DSL for simple reasons - they are backed by Sprint and they will be there at least for a while longer. Also, their perks package for the subscriber seems to be pretty good as well.

I hope this helps some.

Respectfully,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
Sales Manager
Computer Innovations, Inc.
Chicago, IL

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gmattson:
I guess it's an area thing! I've heard more negative comments about broadband than compliments. Depends on how many of your neighbors are using it.

We use Sprint long distance. Haven't heard about their wireless dsl. I'll be watching for it though.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Allen M.

Never ending saga!

Post by Allen M. »

[quote]Satellite is still in its infancy as far as market penetration [/quote'One of the big problems with reliable satellite communications is the weather.

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”