Mac to PC

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Ted Dinwiddie

Mac to PC

Post by Ted Dinwiddie »

Any recommendations on some reading material to help a poor intuitive figure out how to make this spawn of gates function any where close to my beloved Mac? I am a Graphic designer and my mikrozoft IT department wants me to konform to their draconian network, but they don't know squat about what a porthole NT 4.0 system needs to be to match an old G3 running System 8.6.

Of course, if I can't figure out how to bring this junk up to speed I'll just start practicing bunkai on computer geeks.

AAAAAAgh!

ted
LeeDarrow

Mac to PC

Post by LeeDarrow »

WinDoze NT (Not There or Not Tested) is actually not too bad a network platform (and this coming from a confirmed, converted Machead is a REAL statement!)

First off, what apps are you running? Secondly, what kind of system are you using (processor, speed, ram on board, hard drive size, etc)? Also, are you having to convert existing Mac files to the WinDoze boat anchor's kludgey OS format or not?

Once I have this info, I may be able to help. Otherwise, I may have a career ahead of me as an uke for your geek-bunkai!

Regards,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
Sales Manager,
Computer Innovations, Inc.
Chicago, IL

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted Dinwiddie:
Any recommendations on some reading material to help a poor intuitive figure out how to make this spawn of gates function any where close to my beloved Mac? I am a Graphic designer and my mikrozoft IT department wants me to konform to their draconian network, but they don't know squat about what a porthole NT 4.0 system needs to be to match an old G3 running System 8.6.

Of course, if I can't figure out how to bring this junk up to speed I'll just start practicing bunkai on computer geeks.

AAAAAAgh!

ted
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
LeeDarrow

Mac to PC

Post by LeeDarrow »

PS, Ted-san,

I am NOT trying to stir up business. Any help is freely offered, no strings attached.

Just to clear the air on that.

"I'm a 7th Day Opportunist, but I don't jerk my friends around." - L. Darrow 1982

Regards,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
gmattson
Site Admin

Mac to PC

Post by gmattson »

Lee:

Thanks for all your help and guidance on these forums. We encourange our posters to include a business card type signature at the end of messages.

------------------
GEM
LeeDarrow

Mac to PC

Post by LeeDarrow »

Mattson-Shihan,

Thanks for the kind words and permission. It is not my intention to drum up business in here and, frankly, my participation in these forums has been some of the most enjoyable and stimulating intellectual exercise I have had in years regarding the martial arts (or anything esle, come to think of it!).

I deeply appreciate your taking the time effort and, no doubt, expense to provide these forums for those of us who enjoy them so much.

Respectfully and gratefully,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
(plugging his day gig)
Sales Manager, Computer Innovations, Inc.
Chicago, IL
email to Lee@compinnovations.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gmattson:
Lee:

Thanks for all your help and guidance on these forums. We encourange our posters to include a business card type signature at the end of messages.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
LeeDarrow

Mac to PC

Post by LeeDarrow »

Ted-san,

A more generic reply -

A P-III min 1 ghz
RAM - min 1GB
Drive - varied depending on whether you are doing video as well - supposing not - 80GB firewire
DVD-RAM or Superdrive (push them for the SUperdrive for backups and presentation publisheing as it can and will write to both DVD and to CD-r/rw)
Monitor - biggest, sharpest you can get, min 17" .25mm pitch
Video card - there are several big ones out there - not my expertise
Biggest drafting pad you can get
connectivity - whatever the network people want you on.

A system like this will allow you to do pretty much anything you like, but, in the words of yours truly - you can never have too fast a processor, too much RAM or too big a hard drive.

If you are doing multimedia - then a RAID drive is going to be essential. The bigger, the better. Also, insist on your hard drive being rated at a speed of not less that 7200rpm (server quality) as those drives also have better internal media quality, run faster and access/transfer better than the slower rpm drives. Slowdowns on a computer almost always are related to physical-layer equipment, such as hard drives.

Hope this helps a bit more than the original post.

Please remember, our firm does NOT sell hardware - we are a software development house and web design firm, so I can't supply any of this.

Regards,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
Sales Manager,
Chicago, IL
email - Lee@compinnovations.com
Dakkon

Mac to PC

Post by Dakkon »

Ted,
Lee has made a good recommendation to start with.
I'd recommend you get a good name brand system. Dell is a top notch machine and has a great support program. Go with any of the Dell Precision Workstations and you are set.
Most come with ATA100 drives @7200rpm, Ultra SCSI 160 controllers, dual cpu ability and support for 4 gigs of ram Image
A "regular" pc won't cut it in a graphics enviorment. Heck regular PC's hardly cut it any more. Also who is footing the bill for the PC?
Go for Windows 2000 sp2 avoid NT and XP(for now). Reason being is that NT is going obsolete in 18-24 months. M$ has stopped service packs for NT so that's a death sign.
XP is too new and still needs time to mature.

Just for laughs I priced a "Dream Machine" on Dell's website. Here is the stats of a $7301 machine
Dual Pent. Xeon 1.4ghz cpu
1gig of ecc PC800 RDRam
WildCat II 5110 Vdeo
SCSI Raid 0 w/64megs cache Image
3 36gig SCSI 10k rpm drves
20/48 CDRom(you can get better deals elsewhere)
AC`97 sound (you can get better deals elsewhere)
No monitor as you can get better deals elsewhere
Windows 2000 sp1
NO OFFICE suite as your "I.T." depart will prob. have a prefered office suite.

Just a thought

Chuck

[This message has been edited by Dakkon (edited July 12, 2001).]
LeeDarrow

Mac to PC

Post by LeeDarrow »

Ted-san,

dakkon has made a fine proposal, but in looking back to your original post, you asked for reading material for tweaking the machine you are stuck with.

For Photoshop, try any of the Scott Kelby sites. Scott's the man when it comes to that app. I believe he also has a book out on optimizing your system for PS, so check Amazon or one of the other vendors.

Good luck on this, but, if you are having throughput problems, I would try to beat up the IT department for better equipment. (you also might point out to them that 85% of the graphics industry is Mac based and linking a Mac to an NT platform is pretty easy)

Regards,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
Sales Manager
Chicago, IL 60640
312-663-5930

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dakkon:
Ted,
Lee has made a good recommendation to start with.
I'd recommend you get a good name brand system. Dell is a top notch machine and has a great support program. Go with any of the Dell Precision Workstations and you are set.
Most come with ATA100 drives @7200rpm, Ultra SCSI 160 controllers, dual cpu ability and support for 4 gigs of ram Image
A "regular" pc won't cut it in a graphics enviorment. Heck regular PC's hardly cut it any more. Also who is footing the bill for the PC?
Go for Windows 2000 sp2 avoid NT and XP(for now). Reason being is that NT is going obsolete in 18-24 months. M$ has stopped service packs for NT so that's a death sign.
XP is too new and still needs time to mature.

Just for laughs I priced a "Dream Machine" on Dell's website. Here is the stats of a $7301 machine
Dual Pent. Xeon 1.4ghz cpu
1gig of ecc PC800 RDRam
WildCat II 5110 Vdeo
SCSI Raid 0 w/64megs cache Image
3 36gig SCSI 10k rpm drves
20/48 CDRom(you can get better deals elsewhere)
AC`97 sound (you can get better deals elsewhere)
No monitor as you can get better deals elsewhere
Windows 2000 sp1
NO OFFICE suite as your "I.T." depart will prob. have a prefered office suite.

Just a thought

Chuck

[This message has been edited by Dakkon (edited July 12, 2001).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dakkon

Mac to PC

Post by Dakkon »

Ted,
Check out http://www.scottkelby.com/
Thats the man!

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”