HELP!!!

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

gjkhoury

HELP!!!

Post by gjkhoury »

Scott. . .ANYONE:

HEEEELLLLLPPPPP!!!

I stupidly opened an unfamiliar email today and -- yup -- you guessed it: Virus City!!

Then, instead of "cleaning" the infected file(s) with my virus protection, I "deleted" them, leaving me without access to my email (I think that deleting the infected files severed the connection between my "Mail" icon and my email program.)

Either that, or my whole email program is totally "Nuked". Can anyone help me?! I'm such a total techno-flunky, I don't even know where to start!

No email, please (obviously). Reply with advice here, or call me at 978-858-0123.

THANKS!

Gary
Scott Danziger

HELP!!!

Post by Scott Danziger »

Gary,

DON'T PANIC!!

Run your anti-virus program and get your computer clean. You may only be missing the desktop icon not your email program.

What program were you using anyway?

Have you tried looking for your email program through the start button -> Program list?

If it did somehow get deleted, you can just re-install the email program. If you were using Outlook Express, you should be able to download it from Microsoft.

Just remember to run the anti-virus program first thing.

If anybody sees anything I missed please post here asap and let Gary know.
gmattson
Site Admin

HELP!!!

Post by gmattson »

Gary called me and I mentioned "Restoring" his computer. He has Win98 and I haven't used that for a couple years. My Millenium's Restore feature is fantastic, but can't remember if 98 has it. Also, not sure if this is a good fix for viruses.
LeeDarrow

HELP!!!

Post by LeeDarrow »

The WinME Restore function is not present in Win98 - it is a new feature for ME that allows the user to restore their Windows files to where they were at install and, if you run it properly (according to what little I was able to glean from my brand-new copy that came with VirtualPC for my Macs at home) can hold record of the tweaks as well, but don't hold me to that.

It really depends on whet virus hit. Check with www.mcafee.com or the Norton virus site for information on that.

Regards,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
Sales Manager
Computer Innovations, Inc.
Chicago, IL
312-663-5930

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gmattson:
Gary called me and I mentioned "Restoring" his computer. He has Win98 and I haven't used that for a couple years. My Millenium's Restore feature is fantastic, but can't remember if 98 has it. Also, not sure if this is a good fix for viruses.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
gjkhoury

HELP!!!

Post by gjkhoury »

I'm screwed.

Like I said: I ran my anti virus software, but deleted the infected files instead of "cleaning" them.

Now, I'm no computer whiz, but from what I can decipher, "deleting" the infected files essentially "disconnected" my program icons from their respective applications (i.e. I could not access any of the programs on my PC by "clicking" on their icons -- even in their program folders!).

On the advice of Harry S. I reinstalled Windows 98 (successfully, I guess--my apps are running--includig email-- and I didn't seem to lose any .doc, etc. files), BUT any software that I have added on since getting my PC (patches, fixes, upgrades, AND my virus protection) seems to be GONZO!

I have spent the last 24 hours trying to re-download my virus scan software from McAfee.com and get my PC to where it was prior to the infection. Lots of fun.

I'll keep you guys posted. For now, I'm limping along on 74 hours of needed online software and a 56K Rockwell modem that runs like a 76 Pinto.

And on that note, anyone have any idea how to "optimize" my modem. This thing toally *****!

GK
gmattson
Site Admin

HELP!!!

Post by gmattson »

Go dsl or cable Gary.

Interesting. . . I've received at least 15 suspicious email with heading like: "I need your help with this" and a short sentence in the message area. All contain attachments. Naturally, I've been deleting them without opening. Unless I know the person and the person tells me exactly what is in the attachment, I won't open it.

The trouble with these viruses, is they can come from your friends! Without your friends knowing they sent them.

------------------
GEM
gjkhoury

HELP!!!

Post by gjkhoury »

Sensei:

That's EXACTLY what happened! (2nd time for me).

First, I received an email from the president of the company that collects my tuition. It said "Check this out!", so I did. Big mistake.

This time, an email from who I thought was my cousin "Bev" (The name in the "From" field) asked for "your input/help with this", or something to that effect.

Man, I'll NEVER make that mistake again!

Well, back to my call to McAfee. I've been on hold a total of 4 hours today -- still no luck.

Best,

Gary

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”