Great Annoyances of Steady Streams of Unsolicited Advertisem

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Great Annoyances of Steady Streams of Unsolicited Advertisements

When telemarketers call I once returned the rudeness and when I grew tired of that I wouldn’t even answer then until it got to the point where I don’t answer the phone anymore, rather filter unwanteds out through the voice mail setup.

I’ve noticed for the past, I dunno, week or so that telemarketers have hit these forums. You know – click on a forum, such as Van’s or Bill’s, and a little browser window pops up in my face and flashes it’s little head away trying to pollute my precious little cranium.

I haven’t had adequate sleep for most of the past several months because of a heavy work schedule and tend to get irritable, real irritable easily when annoyed, or remaining irritable from trying to remember how to do the math for Fourier Analysis for the past several days. Whatever it is, a few minutes ago when I woke up to make the rounds with the sandman in my eyes and decided to turn this thing on and read a few posts or even get involved in one or two of my choosing before re-retiring.

And when a little box popped in my face, flashing red like the troubadour does his cape, I became enraged like the bull and decided to shut this forum down for the night without embarking on any of its treasures and pleasures.

--- Well, not really enraged, but annoyed enough to wake up and write this little announcement of my aggravation, fully awake now, not wanting to write any longer this evening.

<hr>
I don’t know where these ads come from. Surely not from my ISP, an outfit to whom I am raped a premium for dubious service. I am also sure GEM would not allow such a cancer to eat away at readers desires to read and possibly write if the mood swayed them in such a manner.

From which hidden averse cracks in the universe do these flagrant advertisements emanate their effluvium? And more importantly, how do I shut them down?

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

From GEM:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Hmmmmm, Anyone else see these popup windows?
I get them on other sites, but no where on the Uechi.com site.

I don't think it is possible for someone to do this Al. Some site you visited, must have planted these ads in your computer.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry George, but you caught me in the act of editing, so I most graciously brought forward your response.

------------------
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Hi George.

Several news sites I regularly visit tend play this nonsense. One in particular is time.com, a place I seldom visit any longer. The advertisement type and content appears similar, if not identical to the little turd time.com leaves on your monitor as you leave their URL.

What it is, is the display of one little rectangular box about 1/5th the dimension of the screen. This advert flashes up when I LEAVE a forum, say Van's this evening, to visit Bill's.

I also tend to keep my cache cleaned out on a daily basis sometimes to help keep internet speeds up -- I abhor cookies. I normally try to keep my security peaked to the max, which it is right now.

Net advertising is getting to become more aggressive, and I really think someone's attached something to either your ISP or mine. And if it's coming from mine, those people are going to hear about it bigtime.

The spelling checker is non-functional at the moment, and I really think that is bucause I have my security level pinned to the max.

------------------
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Come to think of it, I lowered my security to "medium" earlier this evening in order to enjoy the videos Van popped up on his site.

I wonder, hmmm... if something road-in on the coattails of those videos?

------------------

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”