Code Red... "Bad... Very bad"

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Service Pack 2? Ch'st no!

When a program is doing a lot of work, sometimes it hogs all CPU resources. This just means that instructions are passing through the chip as fast as can be with no room for anything else. This is SOMETIMES normal, applications do get greedy.

Memory is different. Your executables, dlls, services, data, etc. all compete for the memory space.

Memory is like everyone wants to get on to the T at the same time, and the more everyone there is, the more the cars fill up.

If everyone tries to get on at the same time in an orderly fashion, they can fill the cars up only so fast.

You have one big hog that, when he has a lot of baggage, no one else can get on. When he has too much baggage, he overloads the train a nd the train doesn't go anymore.

Sometimes when the task manager says 100%, let it run while you walk your favorite pet. sometimes things take forever.

Do you have a heat problem in your PC?

Kind of like that.

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

No heat problem... No memory problem. (The task meter shows FP using only about 50-75% of available memory resources.

Although the program is "locked-up", it still is trying to load something. Since getting the 256meg of additional memory, I haven't let it run until an error message pops up. The task mgr shows the program is not responding.

------------------
GEM
moobrack

Post by moobrack »

Hello there,
Win2000Pro huh.Won't load frontpage huh.
Somebody told me that code red virus removes vital dll's from peoples program files in their local machine.Maybe this is your problem.
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

I've re-installed FrontPage a couple times. It seems to be working fine. . . Loads all my other websites fine. But for some reason, it freezes up the moment I try to load uechi-ryu.com!

Still waiting for my primary machine, which has windows ME operating system. Meanwhile, I can't do anything on uechi-ryu.com

------------------
GEM

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”