Netscape 6.1

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Scott Danziger

Netscape 6.1

Post by Scott Danziger »

Back in the day I hated IE and would only use Netscape. My how things have changed.

Since I heard so many horror stories of Netscaped 6.0, I stayed away. Two days ago, I thought I'd give a visit to the Netscape website. Saw all the wonderful write ups on why I should DL 6.1 and that all the bugs from 6.0 were fixed.

Well....

I dl'd 6.1. and then my computer froze when I ran it.

Next... java takes forever to get going.
Then... I go this website that has embedded streaming video. It tells me I need the windows media plug-in for netscape. I attempt to dl it but all it does is send me to MS's dl page for windows media player. (not the plug-in). I tried searching the net for it but can't find it.

Then... to top it off, I go to windows explorer and find Netscape became my default browser (I was never asked). All my picture files, no matter what the format, is associated to Netscape.

Needless to say, Netscape 6.1 no longer resides on my hard drive.

Netscape really dropped the ball over the years. What a shame. And with their new owners (AOL), I don't think they will ever pick that ball up again.

Bottom line...

Netscape 6.1 *****.

Hey, but don't take my word for it, I'm sure you all have many hours to waste checking it out and refixing your computer again.

------------------
VISIT:
Uechi-Ryu.Com Multimedia
Uechi-Ryu.Com Hotlist (Martial Art Links)
Taking Charge - Cable TV & Video Martial Arts Show
Allen M.

Netscape 6.1

Post by Allen M. »

Some can't live without it. NetScrape 4.5.1 is probably the most stable of all creatures of that species although it lacks some CSS and ssome Java stuff, and that seems to behave well on large networks and Windows NT.

NetScrape 6.0 attempted to take over my PC once requiring a hard drive reformat to completely remove it.

Maybe people have to pick on Microsoft because Microsoft does it right.

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
gmattson
Site Admin

Netscape 6.1

Post by gmattson »

When I loaded the Verizon DSL software, Netscape 6 was the first thing the software installed! There was no way to load and install Verizon dsl without Netscape!

Guess marketing sleeze was the only thing AOL added to the software after they purchased it.

------------------
GEM
Valkenar

Netscape 6.1

Post by Valkenar »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gmattson:
Guess marketing sleeze was the only thing AOL added to the software after they purchased it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Speaking of AOL marketting sleaze, the new versions of IM are getting pretty obnoxious as well. When you upgrade (not even install for the first time) it adds a favorite to IE, a tooblar button, a desktop shortcut, a primary start menu category, and every time you start IM it pops up a browser window full of AOL news. Who knows what I haven't even found yet.
Allen M.

Netscape 6.1

Post by Allen M. »

Did someone say AOL? Did NetScrape's obvious success cause this?
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/ap/20010822/tc/america_online_job_cuts_3.html

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
Samurai

Netscape 6.1

Post by Samurai »

I have heard from a friend that works for Netscape...I mean AOL/Time Warner now, that they have made the choice to drop Netscape research and development. We may see a few "new" updates for Netscape, but these are just some items that they had on the backburner and have not yet released.
I guess for all practical purposes, Netscape is a dead horse.

It is kind of funny that in the Cisco Training Modules that describe Netscape and a "powerful browser that combines power with ease of use". They describe Internet Exploder as "a intergrated browser that some claim is much harder to use".

Thanks
Jeremy Bays
LeeDarrow

Netscape 6.1

Post by LeeDarrow »

Allen -

You mean like Microsoft DROPPING Java from the next incarnation of IE?

I really wonder how the Department of Defense is going to like THAT?! Especially as almost every web-based app they have is java enhanced. (Source, Marcia Proctor, DOD Web Portals project leader, quoting a letter in her possession from Microsoft regarding upcoming releases of IE)

For the first time in a Loooooooong time, I believe that Chariman Bill has managed to shoot himself in the foot.

Unless his government procurement contracts require java - then we'll see IE milspec and IE civilian. Which will NOT make John and Jane Q. Public happy, regardless.

Respectfully,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Allen M.:
Some can't live without it. NetScrape 4.5.1 is probably the most stable of all creatures of that species although it lacks some CSS and ssome Java stuff, and that seems to behave well on large networks and Windows NT.

NetScrape 6.0 attempted to take over my PC once requiring a hard drive reformat to completely remove it.

Maybe people have to pick on Microsoft because Microsoft does it right.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”