*** WHAT A DEAD FORUM ***

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Ok, I give up. The worst virus ever, admiN spelled bakwards, is attacking computers and networks, and this technical forum remains asleep as it has for the past three weeks. Not even a puff of who to call or what to get to protect the pc from this dreaded invasion.

Anyone out there care to take the initiatives on anything techno-wise anymore?

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Allen,

The whole site is dead. Being dead for a long time now.
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

I guess no one's interested. We are getting so sophisticated that we don't need technical tips, pitfalls, details and warnings anymore.

------------------
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

Anyone interested in what I consider to be the best virus protection program available, should check out http://www.grisoft.com . And the program is free.

In speaking with people whose computers have been affected, all have opened up attachments from people they trust. Also, these people do not regularly update their virus protection software.

As a rule, I do not open any attachment, unless the sender specifically includes a message, telling me they are enclosing an attachment and what it contains. Lots of the newer viruses will take a sentence from one of your email and will include it in the message section, along with a phrase like "I am wondering what you think?", so make sure the message is clear and logical.

There is always a window of opportunity for new viruses of a day or so, before the software programs can create a patch or fix. Therefore it is very important not to open attachments unless you are very sure of its origin and validity.

------------------
GEM
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

What do you do if you already have Norton?

Do you delete it before installing this new program?
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

I'm not the person to compare the effectiveness of Norton vs Grisoft or whether using both will create a conflict.

Hey Scott, Tony, Harry. . . Where are you?

------------------
GEM
Scott Danziger

Post by Scott Danziger »

Well I am really no computer guru. I use Norton and Norton found the worm BEFORE I even saw email list never mind open it. A warning came up saying I had this virus (worm) attached to an email.

That's twice Norton saved me. Actually, I wouldn't have opened it anyway. Nobody should be sending me .exe or .pif which is what I rec'd.

I think it is time to find a new moderator for the computer forum. If you all want me to, I will remain an administrator for the forums and hotlist and run the video site. However there are others more qualified for the computer forum.

I nominate Allen.

------------------
VISIT:
Uechi-Ryu.Com Multimedia
Uechi-Ryu.Com Hotlist (Martial Art Links)
Taking Charge - Cable TV & Video Martial Arts Show
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

That was so wonderful of you to to make the suggestionn and a tremendously thoughtful gesture, Scott. I've done the declination thing before. Thanks but no.
<hr>
Van, if you have Norton up and running keep it in place. Don't try to fix something that is not broken.

More importantly, however, Van, you should have a FIREWALL in place.

------------------
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Allen,

I do have zone alarm as a firewall and it does a good job.

Having trouble with live updating Norton, or updating. It seems it does not recognize my cable internet connection.
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

You may wish to delete it from your hard drive, then reload it from CD.

------------------

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”