Hacker program question

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Raffi Derderian

Hacker program question

Post by Raffi Derderian »

Hi,
I just installed Black Ice a few days ago. It is picking up quite a few attempted (and now blocked) hacks into my system. It gives the ISP number of the hacker. So what can I do with the ISP to figure out the source?
Thanks,
Raf

------------------
http://members.aol.com/damajkd/dama.html
gmattson
Site Admin

Hacker program question

Post by gmattson »

I doubt if they are "hackers" Raf. I get a couple notices a day from Zone Alarm, saying it blocked attempts by questionable sources, trying to access my computer. Could it be advertisers/websites I've visited, tring to downloard "cookies" to my computer? Can't think of any other reason for someone to spend time getting into my computer!
Allen M.

Hacker program question

Post by Allen M. »

Don't depend on your friendly hacker being benign, Raf.

I regularly filter-out viruses and trojans attempting to get past my firewall.

One of the best protections, if you are using a cable modem, is to use a cable router, even if you are feeding only one PC. It stops everything unpleasant dead in it's tracks and routs them into the bit bucket.

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
Raffi Derderian

Hacker program question

Post by Raffi Derderian »

I have for some time felt that someone I was friendly with has been able to get into my aol account. I can't say publicly who or how I know, but I feel strongly about this. That's why I bought the program.
I don't use a cable.
Is there anything I can do with these ISP numbers?
Raf

------------------
http://members.aol.com/damajkd/dama.html
Arnie Elkins

Hacker program question

Post by Arnie Elkins »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raffi Derderian:
I have for some time felt that someone I was friendly with has been able to get into my aol account. I can't say publicly who or how I know, but I feel strongly about this. That's why I bought the program.
I don't use a cable.
Is there anything I can do with these ISP numbers?
Raf
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you say ISP numbers, what exactly do you mean? Do you get an IP address of the hacker's machine, or does the program give you some indication of the ISP being used by the hacker? I'm afraid I am not too familiar with BlackIce Defender, but if you could give an example of the information it is giving you about these attacks, I might be able to give you some idea what to do about them. Many ISPs want to know about any suspicious activities from their users, and would appreciate getting a log file from your firewall. Others are not so concerned. Even so, there is much you can do to protect yourself.

I highly recommend that people check out the work of Steve Gibson, at www.grc.com. He has a LOT of great information there, including how to protect yourself from the vast majority of attacks without a firewall. I personally use his ShieldsUp! page on a regular basis to make sure I am not 'leaking' anything to the Internet. It has been most helpful. Also, he has a great deal of information there for the technically inclined about what is actually going on with Windows when your box is connected to the net. Very highly recommended!

Arnie

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”