Deep Sea -- Notes in C

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Deep Sea

Deep Sea -- Notes in C

Post by Deep Sea »

<font color=red>Notes in C.</font>

I took today off from work to make final preparations on getting this course properly organized and set up.

If anyone enrolled doesn’t understand what I will be presenting, in any capacity, it wil then be time to start asking questions. I prefer them to be addressed on the forum so everyone can have a shot at trying their hand at an answer if they feel brave and lucky. There are times you may prefer to contact me <a href=”mailto:uechi@ixpres.com>by email<a> with whatever is on your mind concerning the course. That’s ok to; there will be instructor/student confidentiality if so. [ASIDE: I know you want to follow along, Lee, so I will entertain questions from you if you do so on this forum]

This afternoon Deep Sea will be setting up a new website to hold the course material, although most, if not everything else will be here. The first lecture will be both small and large. Large in the sense that it is an over 1 megabite pdf file. This suggests you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, a free text tool provided by Adobe. It is a no-brainer to use it, and print directly to paper with it. I chose this method of file type for several reasons.

First and foremost, doing so will allow the lectures to be easier to read and print.

Second, Writing the lessons and formatting them in HTML, with all the accompanying graphics and arranging the pages to print properly, will take time away from generating new lessons as well as taking time away from me responding to Q+A forum segments.

Third, but not least, it is most beneficial for the student to type-in the applications on your own as part of the learning experience rather than to cut and paste off a text file. I hate to type too, but the apps are small and easy enough to enter in a few minutes of typing. If ever there will be a substantially large block of code, or something I want you to link in, I’ll provide it, such as when we get into windows and MFC programming.

<hr>

The course will be ready to start as soon as everyone has their software and book. It is not fair to start anyone off early.

Reader Beware

There are a number of C tutorials on the internet. In general, refrain from glossing over them or studying from them as much as possible, because there will be a tendency to get corrupt which will causse confusion and necessitate unlearning things. There are good ones, bad ones, misleading ones, ones which go off the deep end, unix ones, K&R ones, high school ones, Vax ones, and confusing ones, etc. Whew!

A good example is the Indian Hill Programming Style style guide. Fifteen years ago it was the style to write in. Software programming languages and styles have made humungous leaps forward concerning ideas paradigms, syntaxes, etc. during that time. Other examples on the internet, which we are not writing for, are often specified for UNIX compilers (which are all different with different flavors of C as well as different UNIXes), therefore we are not going to use cc, makefiles, K&R C, or any other UNIX tools, for that matter. I won’t be answering questions thought up from others’ tutorial websites.

Lessons per Week, etc.

There’ll be at minimum, 25 lectures, probably many more if we get into the C++ world. I will be striving for one topic per lecture, not necessarily one lecture per week, although It will be a minimum of one lesson per week as a rule. If I go too fast or too slow for the group, let me know. I can always slow down If I go too fast.

Any questions so far?

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
gmattson
Site Admin

Deep Sea -- Notes in C

Post by gmattson »

Looks good so far Al. . . I hope I do as well with the actual lessons! Image

------------------
GEM
Deep Sea

Deep Sea -- Notes in C

Post by Deep Sea »

Thanks George. You will do ok. In no time you'll be writing and using your own Uechi-ryu database applications.

I'm a little stiff from setting up the structure of the website, and as a result it is probably a good thing not everyone has their visual C++ compiler in the mail yet.

I'll probably post the software installation instructions this weekend anyway, even if it is still in its early draft stage so that when the software arrives for those who do not have it yet, they can immediately start installing it. Also, Microsoft doesn't supply installation instructions except for a little card which looks like it was designed for marketing. I'm sure I couldn't install from it if I didn't already have the savvy.

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”