suspicious virus attack or helpful program??

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

All my email gets checked by AVI and a message 9Incoming mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.333 / Virus Database: 187 - Release Date: 3/8/2002)
However, I also get a lot of "cleaned" email with headers but no messages at all. I suspect these were email containing viruses. I received a new one this morning which may be a virus. Wondering if anyone else has received it and if it is indeed a virus producing letter or a helpful program sent out by Magee. What makes me suspicious is that the usual AVG message, telling me that the email is "safe". AVG may have stripped the infected attachment, but in the body of the letter is a mail link, which is also suspicious. Anyway, here is the letter. If you receive it, be careful:
========================================
Klez.E is the most common world-wide spreading worm.It's very dangerous by corrupting your files.

Because of its very smart stealth and anti-anti-virus technic,most common AV software can't detect or clean it.

We developed this free immunity tool to defeat the malicious virus.

You only need to run this tool once,and then Klez will never come into your PC.

NOTE: Because this tool acts as a fake Klez to fool the real worm,some AV monitor maybe cry when you run it.

If so,Ignore the warning,and select 'continue'.

If you have any question,please mail to me.

(I removed the link: GEM)
Tony-San

Post by Tony-San »

George,

are they HTML messages? If so, look for the "view source" command and email me the code. I want to see if it's similar to some junk i've been getting.

Tony
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

I'll try to find the deleted message Tony and will send it to you.

------------------
GEM

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”