video editing

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

video editing

Post by Guest »

I'm planning to purchase some video editing software, anyone familar with MGI videowave Ver.5 ? Whats everyone using? What do you recommend?

Laird

video editing

Post by Guest »

I'm really searching for away to go from VHS to digital and back to VHS. I want the flexibility of both worlds. I want to edit on the CPU and copy to digital medium and or tape. Anyone got any suggestions?

Laird
Tony-San

video editing

Post by Tony-San »

Scotts thing... hope he chimes in here, i'd like to read what He has to say.
gmattson
Site Admin

video editing

Post by gmattson »

Me too... I've seen a Sony machine that will copy VCR tapes to DVD, but it is very expensive. I've also heard about compatibility problems.

------------------
GEM
Scott Danziger

video editing

Post by Scott Danziger »

Sorry I haven't been around much...

Video Editing. Well it depends what you want to do. I have an older version of video wave and it is good for beginners. Now that Roxio owns it I don't know what they have done to improve it (if that). Video Wave uses a story book editor. This means you edit clips together. It doesn't come with all that many transitions either but it has some things others like Premier, Ulead, and Pinnacle don't. Those other editors I mentioned have timeline editing. ie: multi tracks to place video and audio.

Personally I really like Uleads Video Studio Pro. It is easy to use and has some awesome transitions effects plus a large array of different formats you can output to such as Mpg, AVI, .MOV (quicktime), .rm (Real media). The titling is "so-so". It can do scrolling up, down, or side to side. But for cool graphics in your titles Pinnacle's software is really nice. They use a version if TitleDeco.

Adobe's Premeire is very good, very complicated, and very expensive. Many transitions but truthfully, I like Uleads program better.

Depending on what I am doing, I sometimes do different things with different editors then put it all together.

Also consider your Capture card. You need to have an output port. One computer I have has Pinnacle's card in which the oputput onlt works if I am outputting to video through their program. I can't just output anything like yopu can with ATI video cards with TV out. What I do now is render my video on one machine, copy it via cd-rw to my other machine which has a TV out, go full screen in Window Media Player (using avi because it is clearer than mpeg which is compressed) and output it to my video camera. (Of course you can also use a VCR.)

Look around at todays newer cards. If you can go s-video or componet (I don't mean the regular rca jacks) you will get a clearer picture.

Another recommendation... Subscribe to Videomaker magazine. They cover everything from cameras, PC's, editing programs, lighting, etc... It has great stuff in it.

Good Luck!

Scott

------------------
VISIT:
Eastern Arts Multimedia
Eastern Arts Hotlist (Martial Art Links)
Taking Charge - Cable TV & Video Martial Arts Show

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”