Videos On New Server

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Scott Danziger

Videos On New Server

Post by Scott Danziger »

What a pleasant suprise to find that Uechi-Ryu.Com has a new server. I've been so busy lately that I haven't been around for almost 10 days I think. Then I ran across the post about the new server and went to see how the videos play on it.

AWESOME!!!!

Broadband users are going to relish in the speed and quality of the videos.

Yesterday, I updated 5 old videos to play at their orignal 352x240 size for broadband without having to download the mpegs. I took 5 mpegs out and replaced them with 350kps WMV files. The picture quality is "close" but I also managed to remove approx. 50 or more MB's off the server by replacing the 12-18 MB mpegs with 3-5 MB WMV files. The WMV's load up and play within a few seconds.

The download speeds went from about 37kps on a good day to around 200kps yesterday. Amazing difference. (From my end, yours may differ)

Now that I am pretty much settled in to my new house I will have more time to work on the multimedia page and, if George needs me, around the forums as well. I am still battling the "lawn blues" plus some other things but it's getting there. Hell, I even hope to start working out again. (Haven't really since last September.)

As mentioned in the other post, I am expecting some really exciting Uechi videos from overseas that I received permission to post. But first I will wait until they get here before saying anything more. Then I will make an announcement once they are up.

I hope you all had a great camp. And if anybody has any videos of it they wish and can share, let me know and we'll put 'em up.

Scott
(Slowly but surely returning to the fold)

------------------
VISIT:
Eastern Arts Multimedia
Eastern Arts Hotlist (Martial Art Links)
Taking Charge - Cable TV & Video Martial Arts Show
Tony-San

Videos On New Server

Post by Tony-San »

Hey Scott, thanks for the hard work man. Camp was a blast! Hope you can make it next year. we'll have a great time!!!
Topos

Videos On New Server

Post by Topos »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Danziger:
What a pleasant suprise to find that Uechi-Ryu.Com has a new server. I've been so busy lately that I haven't been around for almost 10 days I think. Then I ran across the post about the new server and went to see how the videos play on it.

AWESOME!!!!

Broadband users are going to relish in the speed and quality of the videos.

Yesterday, I updated 5 old videos to play at their orignal 352x240 size for broadband without having to download the mpegs. I took 5 mpegs out and replaced them with 350kps WMV files. The picture quality is "close" but I also managed to remove approx. 50 or more MB's off the server by replacing the 12-18 MB mpegs with 3-5 MB WMV files. The WMV's load up and play within a few seconds.

The download speeds went from about 37kps on a good day to around 200kps yesterday. Amazing difference. (From my end, yours may differ)

Now that I am pretty much settled in to my new house I will have more time to work on the multimedia page and, if George needs me, around the forums as well. I am still battling the "lawn blues" plus some other things but it's getting there. Hell, I even hope to start working out again. (Haven't really since last September.)

As mentioned in the other post, I am expecting some really exciting Uechi videos from overseas that I received permission to post. But first I will wait until they get here before saying anything more. Then I will make an announcement once they are up.

I hope you all had a great camp. And if anybody has any videos of it they wish and can share, let me know and we'll put 'em up.

Scott
(Slowly but surely returning to the fold)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Scott:
Would appreciate advise and guidance. I am using Macintosh with RealTime Player. Some of the videos come in rich and clear. Many, like the the new one from Okinawa gives sound but no pictures. It is not a matter of settings since 'broadband' version works on some and not on others. Then I try ISDN and some work and some do not. The WMV settings are set in my Windows Real Time Player but all I get is text.

Are there settings on the server for the various video clips that need to be tuned?

Great day to you.
Scott Danziger

Videos On New Server

Post by Scott Danziger »

I don't know about Macs or Real time player for Macs. In fact I never heard of it. There is a version of Windows Media Player for the Mac.
Go to this site: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/default.asp and select the "Select Version" and find the Mac OS version you are using. Hopefully this will help.

I can now make Real Player files or even Quicktime files (Which would probably be more suitable for Mac users) however, with all the videos we now have, that may really be a strain on the resources of the server. I do not want to overstep anything which is why I have been removing the mpeg files and replacing them with smaller WMV files. As far as real player, I find that for me, I can produce much better looking videos with windows media than I can with real player.

All the videos I have put up are tested by me on my PC. I know that's not saying a lot but it is the only way I know it works. This kind of feedback helps tremendously. If you or anybody else is still having problems, please let me know which files, what is wrong, and if I have to make some files Quicktime so all can see them I will.

Scott

------------------
VISIT:
Eastern Arts Multimedia
Topos

Videos On New Server

Post by Topos »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Danziger:
I don't know about Macs or Real time player for Macs. In fact I never heard of it. There is a version of Windows Media Player for the Mac.
Go to this site: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/default.asp and select the "Select Version" and find the Mac OS version you are using. Hopefully this will help.

I can now make Real Player files or even Quicktime files (Which would probably be more suitable for Mac users) however, with all the videos we now have, that may really be a strain on the resources of the server. I do not want to overstep anything which is why I have been removing the mpeg files and replacing them with smaller WMV files. As far as real player, I find that for me, I can produce much better looking videos with windows media than I can with real player.

All the videos I have put up are tested by me on my PC. I know that's not saying a lot but it is the only way I know it works. This kind of feedback helps tremendously. If you or anybody else is still having problems, please let me know which files, what is wrong, and if I have to make some files Quicktime so all can see them I will.

Scott
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scott, thankyou for you help. I must apologize, I meant that I was using the Mac version 7.1 of Windows Media player. There are some clips that play with only sound and blank screen no matter if I pick ISDN or WMV settings, some PLAY at any settings including Broadband, and others that simply give ascii on screne. I wonder if there are some settings at the server for the various video clips that vary for them. For example GEM's clip on intro to Uechi is clear as bell; the latest one from Okinawa from Sensei Toyama is unplayable. The non-consistency seems to point to some "Murpy factor". Please throw a life line if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks.
Scott Danziger

Videos On New Server

Post by Scott Danziger »

It could be the way I compressed them. All .asf (they have an .asx lead file that loads the .asf) files are derived from .avi files. The .wmv files could derive from either mpeg or .avi files. (.wmv and .asf files are "streaming" files to play almost immediatly over the net.)

Were you able to play the latest video? The 91 championships? The 56k and 100k were made from an avi and thwe wmv was made from an mpg.

Also, can you tell me what files worked and what didn't so I can figure out the common denominator.

Scott

------------------
VISIT:
Eastern Arts Multimedia
Scott Danziger

Videos On New Server

Post by Scott Danziger »

Real Media Version of Toyama kick...
http://www.abcisp.net/~gmattson/video/toyama_kick.rm

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”