Size Does Matter

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Deep Sea

Size Does Matter

Post by Deep Sea »

Good things DO come in small packages. There is a new item on the market, a kit which consists of a case, motherboard, a lot of various cabling, a manual, and a driver CD.

The size of the case is an unbelievable (L) 300mm X (W) 200mm X (H) 185mm. Can you BELIEVE that???

The motherboard has built in sound card, network card, video card, Firewire, USB2.0, takes the latest Pentuim CPUs as well as the highest speed memory. On the back panel it has two serial ports, four USB ports, one parallel port, a firewire port, a 10/100 network port, ALL the sound connections, and get this. In addition, on the front panel it has two more USB ports, a firewire port, a mike port and a headphone port.

This little baby is hot stuff but cools the CPU in a non-standard fashion using heat-pipes, with a multi-speed, super-quiet fan that blows air through what could be construed as a radiator.

Seems to me that everyone on the web that has written a review on this finely crafted piece of work speaks of it in the highest fashion.

Is anyone familiar with this little gem called the SS51G Shuttle???

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
Van Canna

Size Does Matter

Post by Van Canna »

Allen,

I remember you talking about this.

I take it these are component parts that must be put togheter with other essentials to make up a "killer" PC?

Question: Who can do it? And how about a support system behind it?

Or is this strictly for PC nerds? Image

------------------
Van Canna
Deep Sea

Size Does Matter

Post by Deep Sea »

BTW, Van, Paul is going to the TC tomorrow night. I may have to work late but if I can give this place the slip I'll be there too.

Now back to the PC.

I remember you talking about this.

It's called the SS51 Shuttle and made in the UK as opposed to china.

I take it these are component parts that must be put together with other essentials to make up a "killer" PC?

It looks as if it'll make a killer PC alright. New component parts are so cheap these days, they are just about falling right off the shelves into open hands and outstretched arms.

And it looks as if it has everything one could desire in a small package. 6 usb2.0> ports -- USB is the coming thing for peripherals -- four on the back and two in the front, Two Firewire ports in the back and another one in the front. With Firewire, think Video. One plugs his camcorder or camera directly into the PC. A 10/100T Lan card build in (your networking card), two serial ports, an optional parallel port for older printers, All the audio connections in the back and some in the front as well.

Audio, video, Lan, Firewire, USB, are all build into the motherboard, and the motherboard is fast, built for the future. It takes the latest memory chips as well as the latest Pentium IV chips as well.

The CPU is cooled rather uniquely. Shuttle uses heat pipes and the temperature-controlled multi-speed fan blows out the back panel through what can be construed as an air-cooled radiator.

<b<Question: Who can do it? And how about a support system behind it?

Check out <a href="http://www.pcsforeveryone.com/newspage. ... =142">PC's For Everyone's [/b]advertisement.

Or is this strictly for PC nerds?

Be careful whom you call a nerd, now, Van, I also know karate... Image

Get it in little pieces or the reputable folks at PCs for everyone can build as much of it for you as you want them to.

They'll warrantee it.

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
Tony-San

Size Does Matter

Post by Tony-San »

One other thing it needs is a Romtec Trios and a few other drives. Check out http://www.romtecusa.com
s f b

Size Does Matter

Post by s f b »

Well Tony, they can be found at Micro Center. They look neat and I would recommend them for EIDE drives. However, I'm SCSI based.

I think I have the solution that will also help if work requires that I start traveling across the country like I used to do in the old days. To do so I must downsize in terms of volume and weight but not computing power.

The URL at the end of this article points to one of the new breed of miniature computer cases to hit the market within recent times. A little earlierthis evening I discovered a website that sells removable drive kits for U160 LVD drives, and ordered 2 kits. One SCSI for the internet and one SCSI for LINUX. The main pc can then remain completely severed from the internet, just like in the old days.

------------------
<b>Al Moulton at <i><a href="http://www.uechi-ryu.ws">Uechi-ryu Etcetera</a></i> Loves <i><a href="mailto:uechi@ixpres.com">email</a></b></i>

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”