Annual Pop Quiz

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

s f b

Annual Pop Quiz

Post by s f b »

I do this every year and no one's gotten it yet:

Halloween and Christmas fall on the same day. Why??

------------------
Allen Moulton at Uechi-ryu Etcetera loves email at <A HREF="mailto:uechi@ixpres.com">uechi@ixpres.com</A>
gmattson
Site Admin

Annual Pop Quiz

Post by gmattson »

Yea Glenn. . . That's what I was going to say! Image

------------------
GEM
Glenn

Annual Pop Quiz

Post by Glenn »

The same rule applies to any other holiday that falls on the same date every year (although see exception below). For example the 4th of July is always one day of the week later than Halloween and Christmas, with for this year July 4 falling on a Thursday and the latter two falling on Wednesdays. It's simply because the number of days between any two holidays that always fall on the same dates will always be the same.

The exception of course is holidays that occur before March 1, since they will be affected by leap-years.

------------------
Glenn
Glenn

Annual Pop Quiz

Post by Glenn »

Hey wait a minute, Halloween is on a Thursday this year (same as July 4)! Halloween and Christmas are on different days of the week, and 55 days apart instead of 56!

But the general rule still applies: July 4 and Halloween will always be on the same day of the week every year, while Christmas will always be one day of the week earlier.

Getting back to Allen's question, the answer is: They don't fall on the same day! Image

------------------
Glenn
s f b

Annual Pop Quiz

Post by s f b »

The riddle is still on because according to many in math and Computer Science they are exactly the same -- every year.

------------------
Allen Moulton at Uechi-ryu Etcetera loves email at <A HREF="mailto:uechi@ixpres.com">uechi@ixpres.com</A>
Glenn

Annual Pop Quiz

Post by Glenn »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by s f b:
I do this every year and no one's gotten it yet:

Halloween and Christmas fall on the same day. Why??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's easy. It's because on our Gregorian calendar they are 56 days apart, which is divisable by 7 to give you exactly 8 weeks apart. Since each is always on the same date and they are exactly 8 weeks apart, they will always be on the same day of the week each year.

------------------
Glenn
Glenn

Annual Pop Quiz

Post by Glenn »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by s f b:
The riddle is still on because according to many in math and Computer Science they are exactly the same -- every year.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well there's your problem, you need to stop talking them! Image

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
fall on the same day
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
they are exactly the same
Would you elaborate on exactly what you mean by statements?

------------------
Glenn
s f b

Annual Pop Quiz

Post by s f b »

I need to stop taking riddles, Glenn? When you get to be my age you'll find somethings are important for regularity.

Ok, this year I'll be a pushover. Seeing All Hallow's Eve is almost upon us...

<font color=orange>OCT31</font> = <font color=brown>DEC25</font>

The numbers don't lie; simple as that.

------------------
Tony-San

Annual Pop Quiz

Post by Tony-San »

Allen,

Are you saying that 25 is the decimal equivalent of 31 Octal? What does that have to do with the day of the year? that's cheating!

The real halloween was actually 2 weeks ago during the 2nd day of the full moon. that is, the ancient pagan holiday of Samhain. The Xtian calendar is terribly skewed with respect to the lunar cycles and the universe and all that stuff.
s f b

Annual Pop Quiz

Post by s f b »

Cheating?? Aw c'm on, Tony. No it's not! Don't spoil it for me, it was my riddle anyway.

Yes, Octal 31 is the same as Decimal 25, or OCT31=DEC25.

------------------
Tony-San

Annual Pop Quiz

Post by Tony-San »

oops! Sorry Allen....
Glenn

Annual Pop Quiz

Post by Glenn »

I need to stop taking riddles, Glenn? When you get to be my age you'll find somethings are important for regularity.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I meant you need to stop talking to the "many in math and Computer Science"!

------------------
Glenn
Glenn

Annual Pop Quiz

Post by Glenn »

Yes, Octal 31 is the same as Decimal 25, or OCT31=DEC25.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's an Octal...base 8?

------------------
Glenn
s f b

Annual Pop Quiz

Post by s f b »

Right. My first programming assignment was to program a Varian computer in Octal using toggle switches, one bit at the time.

Here's a link to help you verify <a href="http://www.evergreen.edu/biophysics/tec ... tm">number conversions.</a>. Enjoy!

------------------
s f b

Annual Pop Quiz

Post by s f b »

Stop talking to the multitudes? If I did that, Glenn, I'd be out of work.

------------------

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”