HTML

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

HTML

Post by Guest »

Well it's time I got around to learning this stuff.

My isp provides a tiny amount of web space so I've got a place to publish too.

I've got a copy of Sam's Teach your Self HTML 4 in 24 hours and the NCSA beginners guide to HTML.

What software would you use if you were in my shoes?

http://www.telus.net/newebspace/toolbox/editors.html

Laird
Tony-San

Post by Tony-San »

Get Front Page. it's easy. I also have Homesite but don't really use it anymore.
Valkenar

Re: HTML

Post by Valkenar »

uglyelk wrote:What software would you use if you were in my shoes?
I'd probably just go with notepad. I feel that if you're interested in learning HTML (as distinct from just making a web page) then you're better off not using a website building program. Though an editor with what's called "syntax highlighting" for html would be helpful and not get in your way.

I would tend to counsel against Frontpage for a couple reasons. Another is that I've heard various reports that the html that Frontpage outputs often containts microsoft-specific features, so your page won't display right in other browsers. This is one of the many techniques Microsoft uses to bludgeon people into using their software. I also have a bias against Microsoft, so bear that in mind when considering my advice.
Tony-San

Post by Tony-San »

I learned in notepad also... i've build a few sites with just notepad and a browser, but that was back when HTML 1 and 2 where around. Nowadays, you can't do anything cool without doing CSS, Java and all that stuff. These things are build into front page and it's pretty cheap compared to dream weaver and some of the other wysiwyg editors.

To build a web page today with just notepad would be a huge undertaking, especially for someone who is just getting into it.

I agree with Justin, FP has commands that are specific to IE and microsoft, but under Tools->page options->compatibility you can set FP to use only commands specific to whatever browser you want, or you can customize your command set. This helps when testing other browsers. Using IE commands only is very good for an Intranet where everyone has MS stuff, but on the internet, you have to use commands that work in all browsers.

In my opinion, FP is good for a beginner or someone who doesn't want to fool around with code and just get the job done, otherwise, i'd reccomend homesite.
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

Email me, Laird.

I won't have my email and ISP stuff up and running until sometime this weekend, but I've already got something for you to help make your life easier -- and HTMLing more fun.
Always with an even keel.
-- Allen
DiegoZ

good html editor

Post by DiegoZ »

"Edit 2 plus" is a good editor, but you you must have some idea about html.

"CofeeCup Html Editor" is good too, but it will run until ths expiration date because it is shareware.

"Front Page" is an editor for normal people who do not want to learn html and want to make a web site (this are not my words, they are from Microsoft)
[DiegoZ]
DiegoZ

good html editor

Post by DiegoZ »

"Edit 2 plus" is a good editor, but you you must have some idea about html.

"CofeeCup Html Editor" is good too, but it will run until ths expiration date because it is shareware.

"Front Page" is an editor for normal people who do not want to learn html and want to make a web site (this are not my words, they are from Microsoft)
[DiegoZ]

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the advice guys!

I've been off line for the past three days my ISP just *****.

I'll email you shortly Allen.

Post by Guest »

Interesting this thread shows zero responses. Why is that? Is it just me or other people seeing this as well?

Laird
Last edited by Guest on Mon Dec 23, 2002 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Akil Todd Harvey

Post by Akil Todd Harvey »

Elk,

DieogZ has two posts back to back and it still says he has only posted one message, and I have seen him post on Snesei Canna's forum as well, all saying he has made only one post.

Buenos Dias DiegoZ.

Happy Holidays, ATH
Akil Todd Harvey

Post by Akil Todd Harvey »

Elk,

DieogZ has two posts back to back and it still says he has only posted one message, and I have seen him post on Snesei Canna's forum as well, all saying he has made only one post.

Buenos Dias DiegoZ.

Happy Holidays, ATH
Spitkicker

Dreamweaver

Post by Spitkicker »

I suggest Macromedia Dreamweaver for HTML. Mainly for the add ons available for the program. As HTML is a starting block you want a program that lets you incorporate PHP, ASP an such with ease. As these languages are becoming the most popular to build in (php,asp)...You can use Dreamweaver to learn/ develop HTML on and still be able to 'upgrade' your web site when the time comes. CSS, Java are all supported as well.

Spitkicker in Korea
Spitkicker

Dreamweaver

Post by Spitkicker »

I suggest Macromedia Dreamweaver for HTML. Mainly for the add ons available for the program. As HTML is a starting block you want a program that lets you incorporate PHP, ASP an such with ease. As these languages are becoming the most popular to build in (php,asp)...You can use Dreamweaver to learn/ develop HTML on and still be able to 'upgrade' your web site when the time comes. CSS, Java are all supported as well.

Spitkicker in Korea
Spitkicker

Dreamweaver

Post by Spitkicker »

Spitkicker in Korea
Spitkicker

Dreamweaver

Post by Spitkicker »

Spitkicker in Korea

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”