Going micro soft

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Deep Sea

Going micro soft

Post by Deep Sea »

I held off getting XP because I thought I knew better.

I recently replaced an aging 300 mhz presario notebook with a new one.

After being thoughroughly disenchanted with a new Toshiba Satellite I took advantage of my last return day and did just that. To side-step the 15% restocking fee, I traded up to another Presario. Much better machine, but right now, as I write this, I strongly feel it was a mistake and I should have taken the hit.

The notebook isn't so bad, but they unavoidably are equipped with Windows XP. Unfortunately there's no way to upgrade the software to
Windows 2000 without driving into driver-difficulty territory.

Maybe part of the problem is that I'm a power user. XP is just 2000 with a pretty face, but this one's beauty is only skin deep. The search-and replace feature is definitely NOT for search and rescue. It is so slow, and sometimes just can't do the job.

Sometimes I give it a command and it reminds me of a mule.

So I said, Maybe it's just the laptop that's slow. Alright, I allowed myself to be enticed into the purchase oo the professional model upgrade when I got the notebook. Instead of hitting the notebook, I "up" graded one of the desktops and wow, the operational word of the day is "revert."

I recently wrote that you're not a sailor until you've run aground, but ithat little meaning doesn't include when steep sea swells shove you up onto the beach at low tide.

Oh yeah. I keep getting these little dialogue boxes that tell me something in the system has failed and do I want to report it to Microsoft. If I were to respond affirmative, there's no telling what else those Redmondites are going to ****** off this machine.
Always with an even keel.
-- Allen

Post by Guest »

what did you do with the 300mhz? I might be interested in buying it.
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

Oh man. I wish I'd a known that a week ago. I wanted to know what made it tick.

I did save the hard drive [cute little thing], floppy, and combo CD writer DVD reader.

If you want 'em send me your street address. My system's in a condition to wgere I can't get at those things right now.
Always with an even keel.
-- Allen

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”