THE EDGE VS POINT, PART DEUX

Lots of interest in this subject and much to learn. Where to train - Whats legal in your state - Where to get information!
JOHN THURSTON

THE EDGE VS POINT, PART DEUX

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Hello all:

WE more or less decided that we were going to use some very basic definitions to roughly deteremine a sword's (or a bladed weapon's)essence, ie: what it it best at.

To do this we related matters to some Karate movements, just for "ease of translation"

1. The slash, a wound created by a weapon as its edge is drawn back over a target; the closest Uechi who have to this would be to have a practioner perform a Kakeuke Block, sword in hand. Examples: TAI Chi Gim, Later Roman Legionary Spata (Spatha).

3. The chop, a wound created by a target by using the edge of the weapon as in a "shuto" to penetrate the target. Example: Machete, Bolo, Katana, earlier European Broad sword.

4. The Thrust(or stab in the case of knives)
wish uses the point of the weapon to penetrate the traget. Rapier, Middle period roman Gladii, Assegai as used by the Zulu and Matabele.

5. Mixture blades and pole weapons, such as the Roman "lancea" and the fighting spear of the massai, which has "leaf shaped blade" for slashing and a formidable point.

JOHN

------------------

[This message has been edited by JOHN THURSTON (edited 06-04-99).]
JOHN THURSTON

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

brought forward
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
I. Woolley

Post by I. Woolley »

I beg to differ on few points. Katana are more slicing/slashing than hacking.
a 'broad sword' can be used to deliver deadly thrusts and slices

but yeah its just semantics really and how you use a weapon
My boot your head. Do I need to make the conection?
-Yours truely

"'People will lie to you. Yours eyes will deceive you. Steel never lies, nor deceives, nor hides bitter reality. In the sword, you can find truth'- from Kakita's the Sword"

Return to “Modern Personal Weapons”