Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: St. Paddy's Day
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:22 pm 

St. Paddy’s Day is coming and if you’re anything like me, it’s time to whip out a Guinness (or two) and celebrate my roots (we’re all Irish on St. Paddy’s Day aren’t we?) Anyway, here are a few facts about Irish Oats (be careful where you sew them!) :mrgreen:

Oats – Nutritious Facts

Low Calorie – 1 seving of Irish Oatmeal = 150 cals
Instants = 100 -160 cals (depending on variety)
Oatbran serving = 80 cals
Low Sodium - Instants contain 80 - 220mg (depending on variety).
Highly recommended for low salt diets
High in Fiber - More fiber than a Bran Muffin! Oats contain both soluble and insoluble fiber which are essential for good health
High in Vitamins - Full of energising B Vitamins
Saturated Fat - None!
Cholesterol - None!

After oats for breakfast I’m planning a feed of corned beef and cabbage….followed of course by more Guinness

Corned Beef and Cabbage

2-1/4 pounds corned beef brisket
2-1/2 black peppercorns
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 small onion, peeled and left whole
1-2 bay leaves - whole
1/2 pinch salt
1/2 small head cabbage, cored and cut into wedges
3 large potatoes, quartered
2-3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DIRECTIONS:

In a 6 quart pot, place the beef brisket, peppercorns, garlic powder, onion, bay leaves and salt. Fill pan with water to cover everything plus one inch. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes. Skim off any residue that floats to the top. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 2 to 3 hours, until meat can be pulled apart with a fork.

Once the meat is done, add the cabbage, potatoes and carrots, pressing them down into the liquid. Simmer for an additional 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Skim off any oil that comes to the surface. Remove the pot from the heat.

Remove meat from the pot and break into hearty pieces. Return to pot and enjoy a bit of everything (don’t eat the bay leaves!!!). You can also place onto a serving dish and let rest for 15 minutes, remove vegetables to a bowl and keep warm. Slice meat on the diagonal against the grain. Serve meat and vegetables covered with a bit of broth. If you're feeling adventurous you can also throw a few dumplings into the pot...I'll search out a recipe for those as well.

Mar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:28 pm 

Dumplings:

1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk

Mix the dry ingredients first, then add milk and mix well. Spoonful into the pot, cover and simmer for approximately 15 minutes.

(If you make them like my dad used to - be sure use more flour to fling all over the kitchen!!! It always looked like a flour bomb had gone off when he made dumplings but they were the best!!!) :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:22 pm 

Corned Beef and Cabbage, Guiness, Oatmeal and Dumplings....

An "explosive" combination if I ever read one...

:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:07 pm 

Meta ... please feel free to add something constructive. A recipe or two might be nice.

M

Post subject: A recipe, you say?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:33 pm 

Very well Madam;

I give you, Metablade's world renown;

Roast Leprechaun

Ingredients:

(1.) One Screaming, kicking, cursing, drunken Leprechaun..Lightly smacked about with a wooden Shillelagh, and debriefed with applied sodium pentothal as to the whereabouts of his secret Pot O' Gold and Lucky Charms.

(2.) One smattering of Irish denizens who will vehemently war and kill one another over every facet of life save for the unanimous agreement that it is generally good to be constantly inebriated.

(3.) A heaving,(GB Measurement) helping of Pixies, Faeries, Brownies and other assorted wee folk.

(4.) Many ground up, middle-aged POP stars with delusions of grandeur who pompously trott the world to judge it and spout off what they think is wrong with it.

(5.) Gallons and Gallons of alcoholic beverages.

(6.) Copious amounts of quickly incensed ire.

(7.) A dash of green food coloring.

Mash all of these ingredients into a fine mulch, heat over an open flame in a large iron kettle, and let rise until crispy.

Then export as a rising I.T. community.

:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:50 am 

Sounds bitter....maybe you need one of these....

Irish Coffee

1/4 cup hot, strong, black coffee
1-2 teaspoon sugar
1 large measure Irish whiskey
1-2 tablespoon double cream

Fill a stemmed whiskey glass with hot water then throw out, refilling it with boiling water.
Throw this out, fill the glass somewhat more than half full with coffee and add sugar to taste.
Stir to dissolve, then add the whiskey.
Pour the cream over the back of a spoon to float on top.
Drink the hot liquid through the cool cream.
If double cream is not available use lightly-whipped single (whipping) cream.

Post subject: Tippery Hill Syracuse NY
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:25 pm 

A fine old Irish Neighborhood... that has a helluvah good party at Coleman's resteraunt. Best Green beer I ever had :D

And Yes... the traffic light has Green on top :)
Tippery Hill- Upside down traffic light
Written by donclark on May 15, 2004.

Tipperty Hill is an old Irish neighborhood that has the only Upside down traffic light in the country. The green is on top because the Irish kids kept breaking the red light until they put the Green on top.

Go to Coleman's Pub & restaurant on Tipp Hill.

Post subject: Irish Stew
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:52 pm 

Good Ol' Irish Stew, Ala Metablade.

Ingredients:

1 cup flour
2 Lbs Cubed Chuck roast
Pepper and Salt
3 Carrots
3 Onions
1 clove garlic
2 cans of Demiglaze sauce (Unless you wish to spend 24 hours making it yourself.) :lol:
3 Brown Onions
1 small bag of frozen peas
3 Large Potatoes
3 Tablespoons of Potato or Corn Starch
1 cube of beef bullion stock.
Olive or Veg. Oil.

Step 1.
Salt and Pepper beef cubes, then coat the beef cubes in flour, and fry in light oil in a large pan until outside is browned. (Don't cook all the way through.)
Put aside on paper towel when finished.
(Cover to avoid germs)

Step 2. Cut Carrots, potatoes, Garlic and Onions however you like, but large cubes are best.

Step 3. Fry the Veggies on high heat in light oil until Onions turn clear.
Remove Veggies to the side for now.

Step 4. In a large Pot, combine water, Beef bullion, and Demiglaze and bring to a low boil.

Step 5. Add Beef cubes, and All Veggies, (including peas) and slow simmer on low heat for 2 hours. Skim Soup scum periodically.

Step 6. About 10 minutes before serving, in a small bowl, combine Starch and water and mix well removing all lumps.
Pour starch into stew and mix until congealed, add salt and sugar to taste.

Serve with bread and butter and Irish cheese, and a half dozen pints of your favorite bitter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:31 pm 

Mary, those dumplings are especially good when you use buttermilk in them. Made chicken and dumplings last night, used buttermilk....yummy!

Vicki

Good food can cure almost anything, especially good when one is down....I fell into an eclair cake last night for comfort......warning: gym work to follow.

Vicki

Post subject: Steak and Guiness pie
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:57 am 
2 lbs of steak

1 tbsp. cream flour

1 tsp. brown sugar

1 tbsp. raisins

5 onions

10 oz. Guinness

8 slices Donnelly's Irish bacon

3 oz. olive oil

Cut steak into bite sized cubes. Dredge steak in flour (make sure it's covered)

In a pan, heat olive oil, then
add the steak and bacon and cook on med. heat until edges start to brown.

Peel and chop the onion and add to the pan. Cook another 5 minutes.

Place steak, bacon and onion in a casserole dish. Add the raisins and brown sugar, Pour in the Guinness.

Cover tightly and simmer over a low heat or in a very moderate oven (325-350F) for 2 1/2 hours.
Stir occasionally, adding more Guinness or water if the rich brown gravy gets too thick.

Line a deep pie dish with half the pie crust (bake it blind). Then add the Guinness and steak mixture.
Cover with a layer of pie crust
and bake until finished

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:28 pm 

Stryke, I'm gonna make that for the special day!!! I'm going to vary it a little. I'm horrible at pastry-making (I did't get that gene) so I think it might taste even better in a sour-dough bread bowl. I'll warm it a little in the oven, lop off the top, hollow it out and fill it up with the mixture. MMMMMMMM..... :)

One of my fav little Irish pub "The Old Triangle" (there's a plug for anyone who ever gets to Halfax) serves that and my only regret when I eat it is that I don't have a hollow leg to cram more of it into me! :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:37 pm 

Mary S wrote:
Stryke, I'm gonna make that for the special day!!! I'm going to vary it a little. I'm horrible at pastry-making (I did't get that gene) so I think it might taste even better in a sour-dough bread bowl. I'll warm it a little in the oven, lop off the top, hollow it out and fill it up with the mixture. MMMMMMMM..... :)

One of my fav little Irish pub "The Old Triangle" (there's a plug for anyone who ever gets to Halfax) serves that and my only regret when I eat it is that I don't have a hollow leg to cram more of it into me! :mrgreen:

Was there recently...was that you in the red dress and high heels? 8O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:50 pm 

haha...Leo that wasn't me (but given the emoticon you posted I kinda wish it was!)

We have probably met over the years at tourneys held in Nova Scotia. I believe you are out of the South Shore club with Sensei Swinimer? Please give a big "HI" to Troy for me. He and I have worked out together in the past at seminars (I eviscerated him once with a rubber knife during a seminar on knife attacks and I think it shocked him a little if I remember the look on his face at the time - but he got me back). :) He and I have referreed together over the years at various tournaments. He is a great guy, you have a wonderful Sensei and a fantastic dojo!!!! :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:17 pm 

Will relay your regards to all and wishing you the best always
I do remember you from Dal summer camp
Cheers!