Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:10 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:39 am 

Man, I hate this getting older stuff. I cannot eat what I used to eat and enjoy.

Can't eat greasy.
Can't eat late.
Can't eat too much.
Can't eat the same foods, in the same quanities.

I find myself having to change the way I eat now.....talk about serious "everything in moderation?. I find I have to eat more fruits, veggies, less proportions of meat, and have to work out more consistently to keep that weight off. I try to do well during the week and cheat some during the weekend....but boy, do I miss hotwings and such.

Man, when that metabolism decides to slow down, it does wicked things to your body and takes away one of the few pleasure we have as humans to enjoy.....with a vengeance,

Got any great foods that you can still eat, enjoy, and not end up pushing maximum density? Please share.

Vicki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:14 pm 

Quote:
Can't eat late.
Can't eat too much.
Can't eat the same foods, in the same quanities.

Vicki this part simply sounds like sensible eating. (sorry)
I'm with you on the celery thing (for me it seems lately to be tomatoes)

However, I still love the fresh veggies....and an occasional beer (not necessarily together) :wink: I'm also in the greek salads lately (can't seem to get enough of those)

I find I'm eating more fish and chicken in my old age and am moving away from the junk food and meat selections (unless in a stirfry).

I also find I'm sleeping better and have more energy as a result.
The last thing I seem to be indulging in more these days is water. I drink it like a fish and have seriously moderated my coffee intake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:37 am 
Moderating coffee intake !!!!! 8O

Mary whats with the crazy talk !!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:53 pm 

hahaha. I'll modify that.

I have my first cup of coffee at 8:00 a.m. (I called that the wake-up coffee - extra-large)

My next is at 9:00 a.m. (I call that the get goin' coffee - large)

Next one is usually around 10:30 a.m. (that's my keep going' coffee - large)

Those are the "big 3".

At lunch some days I'll top off my meal with a coffee (usually the "ah...good food, need coffee" coffee).

Sometimes in the afternoon I will have another coffee which is the "woo hoo - it's almost over" coffee (again a large).

If I'm working overtime I often have another one (the "Lord when is this day going to end" coffee).

I have no control over the quality of these coffees (i.e. they range from Tim Horton's to a "speciality" coffee shop in my workplace to the sludge that we have in our office that people drink due to desperation) Sometimes they are good and sometimes they aren't. (To my mind there is very little worse than a bad cup of coffee and if you've had one you will know exactly what I mean!)

The only place I can truly control the quality is at home on the weekends.

I've tried to modify lately by substituting the 9:00 and 10:30 with green tea or hot water with lemon. I've also tried to cut out the lunch and afternoon coffee as I find it makes me irritable, upsets my stomach and I toss and turn at night (no, I do not and will not do decaffienated)

These simple changes (green tea, cutting the afternoon "almost over" coffee) have made a difference in how I feel, my sleeping, appetite and energy level. Working out is better (more energy), I'm hydrated (I drink more water), my appetite is good (I'm eating good food) and although I still do the coffee thing, I have cut it back. (and occasionally I find a great cup of coffee out there!!!) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:59 pm 

I never understood what's the point of drinking diet, decaf Coke? Anyone? Next thing you know, they will take the bubbles out. The lame excuse I usually get is that "I just like the taste better."

I am lucky in that we have a wonderful German coffee machine here at work. Makes an excellent, freshly ground cup of coffee.

Weren't there some recent studies saying that coffee is actually good for you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:10 pm 

Hi dejis, welcome to my little corner of the forums. Hope to see you here more!!

I understand the diet soft drink thing - some people just don't want all that sugar. The decaf and low carb thing I understand as well. (I understand, I don't do!!! I would rather limit my intake than compromise my taste!)

What kind of coffee machine do you have at your office? My problem with our coffee at the office is the beans arrive in bulk, stale, and get filtered into carafes that are rarely cleaned....no thanks!!!

There are studies out there about coffee having its benefits...same with things like chocolate and red wine...however I think "moderation" is the key with these studies. :)

Thanks for posting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:39 pm 

Mary,

Too much coffee!

I find I feel better when I lay off it.

But it always has a way of growing again in quantity.

It's a constant battle.

I stopped drinking it once 10 years ago and wanted to die from the withdrawals.
Worse than quitting smoking.
F.