Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nuts about fruit
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:31 pm 

I love fruit, any way. I love fresh fruit and try to eat some every day. My favorite fresh fruit right now is mango. Mango makes an incredible salsa for pork as well.

Apples in the morning are good. I recently heard that an apple has twice the caffeine as one cup of coffee. Interesting!

I love desserts that have fruit. When my husband and I go ouf for ice cream at Cold Stone Creamery, we always get sweet cream ice cream with black cherries, pineapple, and strawberries.....and when we are being worse on calories we add coconut.

So, what are you favorite fresh fruits and what recipes do you have that have fruit.

Regards,
Vicki

Post subject: Vicky...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

please email me your phone numbers...

g.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:05 pm 

Hi Vicki....I did a little research and I think what you should be referring to is caffeic acid (not caffeine). I'm going to ask Bill Glasheen to explain what/who/when and where it is and the differences betwixt the two! :)

In any event, apples give you a great boost of energy to start the day and I have been trying lately to eat one in the morning and one mid-afternoon (which is usually my "I need a nap" time at work).

I'll post a few fruit recipes when I get a moment but my favourite has always been eating fruit raw. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:26 pm 

I haven't heard of apples having caffeine. If they did - and in the amount suggested - then I'd be munching on them the way I sip my Diet Mt Dews all day long.

I'm not sure about caffeic acid (unrelated to caffeine) being in apples either. It's a plant metabolite typically found in dandelion, yarrow, horsetail, and whitethorn. It is however found in fruits, vegetables, seasonings, and beverages.

It has some interesting properties in various forms. Believe it or not, it is both carcinogenic and anticarcinogenic. Anything in high concentrations though can have odd poperties, so that's no reason not to eat your fruits and veggies.

- Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:36 pm 

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/o ... ts1006.htm

Here is the link to the article I found on the apples/caffeic acid. There are more links I can post if people are interested.

(Thanks Bill - very fast!!!) :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:36 pm 

Indeed that article links it. Caffeic acid is in both coffee beans and apples, according to this USDA source.

If it can stop the production of aflatoxin in nuts and grains, that is BIG! Aflatoxin - a byproduct of a common mold found in nuts and grains - is one of the most carcinogenic substances found in nature. It can be found in high concentrations especially in moldy batches of corn and peanuts. According to that article, caffeic acid's antioxidant properties thwarts the "oxidative stress" that the nuts put on the mold, thus stopping it from producing the aflatoxin.

- Bill