Discussion Area
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:06 pm 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/interactives/who-antioxidants/

Just click on the pic :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:48 pm 
Dried beans? :? .would that include soya?.in a mince form?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:58 pm 

Yes! Check out this site:

http://www.soya.be/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:37 pm 
Cool I use a lot of soya :D

Post subject: body detoxification
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:08 pm 

hey mary.. :D
I am curious what your views are on body detoxification, I just currently started one, I dont really seem to feel any different. Perhaps it takes a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:34 pm 

Hey Angela thanks for visiting my space and I hope to see you here more!! :D

I'm against the detoxification of the body but should qualify that with I guess it all depends on why and how you do it.

One of my co-workers recently did a detox...she weighs approximately 220 pounds, is just over 5 feet tall, has a lot of stress with her job, eats garbage and doesn't exercise. The damage from eating nothing but nachos for an entire month for lunch isn't going to be easily erased by eating nothing but grapes or drinking nothing but juice for a week. I see little benefit from her doing a detox.

She did the grape thing and ate so many that the tannins in the grapes gave her horrible headaches....perhaps better would have been some salad and protein (maybe some light flaked tuna or a hard boiled egg), lots of water, some fruit, and a good 20 minute walk at lunch. Instead she went back to the nacho diet. The detox was doomed to fail from the start. 8O

Personally I think that if you eat a variety of healthy foods, exercise, try to limit the treats (nothing wrong with nachos once a month) then I think you need to detox.

And I would avoid the juice detox....most commercial juices/juice drinks have a lot of sugar. I personally think the well-balanced, eat little bits of lots of healthy foods is the way to go.

What kind of detox are you are doing and the results so far? And, if you don't mind answering, why?

Other opinions are welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:14 am 

you are most welcome, I was hoping i could squeeze my thoughts in here somewhere..lol
As i write, I think about how silly it seems, but I am approx 120 lbs....I have been walking like crazy, and trying to shed the few pounds that i gained....yes yes...i know..but when you are 105 for all of your life..120 seems huge to me...at any rate..i read an article on detoxification..seemed like something to try...i went to the health food store..bought a system called "first cleanse "..I now have 7 days in...and i have found absolutely no difference in how i feel....and since i am not a huge eater to begin with..i guess there is really nothing..to cut out.....I cut out, milk, cheese, and meat....so...I have 1 week left......to finish ....at this point I realize...it has been a waste of my money and time......Im seriously considering keeping meat out of my diet though..i feel better without it. Body wise..I have not seen, nor felt any difference at all....so, overall, I dont recommend it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:53 pm 

So .... is that 15 pounds fat or muscle? Angela, what's your height and age (you can pm me if you wish) :)

What are you putting in yourself for protein?

Er ... 105 pounds all your life?

That may be what I like to call "plateau" weight. I sat at 160 lbs. for approximately 8 years. I'm now in my mid-40s, have moved on from the 160 lbs and I'm 5'8". I inherited my fathers big genes. I'm solid and my weight has gone up and down from that plateau over the years. I try to eat healthy, exercise, get a good night's sleep and stay away from the scale. I weigh myself approximately 3-4 times a year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:49 pm 

well, its what i like to call.......fluid weight.. :wink:
Im missing exercising, and working out, I think its a midlife thing..loll.....or maybe im realizing, the candle is starting to burn a little too quickly for my taste ( your hint on my age)..and im trying to preserve what I have.
today I stopped the whole detox process realizing I started something on a whim, and wasted my money....i'll continue my healthy eating as i always did...and as i said, cut back on red meat....IM walking 4 miles a day, but, I dont feel its enough, im missing the sweat..
yup......105lbs.............always... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:24 pm 

Fluid weight - I like that term 8)

I know that I find it very difficult to get motivated to do more exercise. When I was working out in my Uechi prime I would turn on Fridday night fights and work out 3-minutes rounds as the boxers boxed - that worked up a serious sweat.

What I did about a year ago is buy a Tony Little Gazelle. Now, that thing IS fun! I put on the tunes and work out 2x a week for about 30 minutes and get a serious sweat on. I also walk about 40+ minutes a day, play ball at least twice a week....and go hiking when I can. Lately I've been exploring waterfalls in my province and all I can say is WOW. Good hiking and beautiful sites.

and...there are a few other ways to lose weight (but I wouldn't necessarily call them exercise) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:44 pm 

lol..suddenly..i feel a bond..im smiling as i type.
I am originally from N.S. and home sick for it...lots of wonderful places to visit there.....
im seriously thinking about joining the gym...MLC (mid life crisis)...yup..its gonna be my new term..
maybe i need to find a bit of that exercise you are refering to...err....how many calories does it burn per session??? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:40 pm 

Angela - one thing that's become a big hit here in Halifax are outdoor exercise boot camps. They are an intense workout and a few people from my office have enrolled in them. Usually they are held outside of working hours (pre 9:00 a.m.) and the folks I know who have taken courses swear by them. They sound great - you're outdoors, your working out, it builds endurance and strength, you make friends, you tone, and you lose weight. I've always wanted to do one but it's impossible for me to make it there and then to work from where I live.

On your question regarding calorie burning per session ...... let's just say a couple of summers ago I dropped 3 sizes, 25 lbs and my friends couldn't believe the secret to my success!! :oops: 8)

Mar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:59 pm 

Uhhmmm.......sounds like quite a work out..I'll think about that, a bit more...

Unfortunately, im in a very rural location, the camp there sounds like a lot of fun. No doubt if i lived there I would enroll for the challenge...and the socializing as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:29 pm 

You should sign up for the Physical fitness challenge I posted on Bills forum. You keep a daily log and shoot for a point goal. No need to be an American if I recall right. And it has a lot of different fitness methods, which I think is the way to go.

Mary,
At 5'8" you must be one of those Highland Lasses my Scotch grandfather used to warn me about!

F.

Post subject: boot camp... Hmmmm...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds like my SummerFest Mary!

That reminds me... where have you been last couple years???

Not too late to sign up for this year and my 6:30am "Sanchin on the Beach" is the best exercise session anywhere! :)