Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:54 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:18 pm 

Want to eat a little healthier?

Next time you go to the grocery store – stick to the perimeters and avoid heading up and down the aisles.

We all know that grocery stores are pretty much laid out with the same geography. You walk in the door and you enter the fruit and veggie area….around the outside perimeter and to the back the fresh fish and meat section, further around the back corner you come into the dairy area.

In the middle – the danger zone: chips and crackers and junk food, cookies, spreads and sauces, ready pasta mixes, processed Mexican, Chinese foods and other exotic foods in a box, canned veggies that have been sitting on the shelf for who-knows-how-long.

Just think – if you stay on the perimeters you can avoid the junk foods, cut down on your shopping time and get great nutritious foods……just avoid the ice cream section in the dairy area. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:08 pm 

Or try this one,
Stop at the farmers market and put the money right in the farmers hand and maybe get even healthier food. Fresh baked bread, fresh meats, veggies right off the plant. Even honey from your native country, since much is imported. Great stuff. But for the winter Mary, sounds like good advice.

In my case, have to get planting soon. Should have already.

F.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:27 pm 

Fred I'm lucky where I live to have acces to two farmer's markets....I try to get there as often as I can and top up from the grocery store. Sometimes the markets aren't that great an idea tho .... lots of baked goods (who can resist home made pecan pie) and other goodies (chocolate!!!!)

I try to stay away from those places, visiting the fresh veg stalls and local meat sellers.

I love as well, the idea of planting your own. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:10 pm 

Not a bad idea. I must agree with you that the aisles are the danger zones... especially for my kids.