Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: a fearsome recipe
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:16 pm 

Heres a favourite recipe that will strike fear into the hearts of your opponents!

My home's version of puttanesca - use with caution.

-Finely chop an entire head of fresh garlic.
-Coursely chop a small tin of anchovies (or a doz. cured if you can get them)
-Heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pot over med.low heat and add the garlic then the anchovies.
-Finely chop about 2 tablespoons of capers (in brine)
-Finely chop about half a cup of kalamata olives (get the pitted kind and take the pits out yourself).
-pour in a 16 oz. can of diced tomatoes and let simmer for about 5 minutes then add the capers and olives. let simmer at least 10 minutes on low heat.
-Put on some water to boil in a big pot while the other stuff is simmering. Cook your pasta (noodles thinner than linguine are best).
-When the pasta is almost completely cooked (al dente) toss it into the sauce to finish cooking.
-salt/pepper to taste. serve with fresh parmesianne and fresh parsley.

Enjoy the look of terror on the face of your next opponent! Bon appetite!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:06 pm 

Oh that sounds so good. The only thing I'd add is some spicy sausage..... mmmmmm - I'm hungry now!

Glad to see you here Chris, please post more if you got em :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:33 pm 

Mary S wrote:
Oh that sounds so good. The only thing I'd add is some spicy sausage..... mmmmmm - I'm hungry now!

Glad to see you here Chris, please post more if you got em :)

I heard somewhere the spicy sausage is harmful to your intestines because of the spice and the oil. Is this true?

Anyway, I wanted to ask what puttanesca looks and tastes like. Are there other pasta dishes that are similar to it? Sorry, I am not very familiar with Italian (?) dishes.

Last edited by mikex1337 on Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:04 pm 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puttanesca

Picture is in link. I love spicy foods....my intestines are just fine. :) I get my sausauge from the local farmers' market - no nitrates or msg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:59 pm 

Good picture; I've never tried it with rigatoni - I usually use thinner noodles because they seem to present more of the flavour of the sauce. Now I see that some kind of tubular pasta would have the advantage of carrying more of the sauce inside. Hmmm. I know what I'm going to try next time.

I've had another version made with tuna, which I really liked (I'll submit the recipe when I find it), but it doesn't have as much garlic in it - and let's face it.... it's the vast quantity of garlic that will stop your opponents dead in their tracks!

I'm okay with spicy too and have no intestinal issues that I am aware of. Unless you're refering to um.....'the burning ring' phenominum. Well...okay, you might have a point. Maybe it's an individual thing.

Thanks for the link.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:13 pm 

Bit of butter
bit of olive oil
splash of white wine
5 cloves of minced garlic
2-5 green onions - chopped fine
juice of one lemon
lemon zest
1/2 cup of chopped kalamata olives
2 tblsp chopped capers
half pound cooked tuna or one can of solid tuna
pasta (your choice)
parsley/salt pepper/grated parmesan

1)cook the garlic in the oil and butter in a sauce pan that is big enough to hold the pasta as well.

2)splash in the wine then add the lemmon juice/zest, onions, olives and capers. simmer for a couple of minutes.

3)toss in the tuna - breaking it up as you stir the mixture around. turn down the heat and let simmer while you cook the pasta. If the sauce is reducing too much turn the heat right down - don't worry: it will pick up a bit more moisture from the pasta water when you toss the pasta in.

4) cook the pasta (in salted water) till almost done (very al dente) taste the sauce and season if necessary, then toss the pasta into the sauce to finish cooking.

Super simple and super tasty. Enjoy!