Discussion Area
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:17 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:50 am 

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/849068.html

So much for that diet stuff! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:43 pm 

I switched out soda (or pop as I call it being from the mid-west :D) for unsweetened seltzer a few years ago. I still get the bubbles but no calories and it comes in many flavors. And those studies about losing bone density turned out to be bunk. I have one almost every day with lunch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:43 pm 

Quote:
"We really don’t know," he said. "This soda consumption may be a marker for a particular dietary pattern or lifestyle. Individuals who drink one or more sodas per day tend to be people who have greater caloric intake. They tend to have more of saturated fats and trans fats in their diet, they tend to be more sedentary, they seem to have lower consumption of fibre."

So it is a logical fallacy. An incorrect association of coincidences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:49 pm 

Dana, I put "soda" simply so that the New Englanders would know what I'm talking about (I'm a "pop" girl too!)

I have moved on to water....

Mike, ever gone to a McDonald's? Watch the kids. They get the jumbo soft drinks and the burgers or remodified chicken bits.....the sugar content is outragious. Soda is a junk food!!!! Junk food goes with junk food.

I would suggest that if you took a poll of people on this website you might find that the healthy people don't tend to drink that much soda (except for Bill Glasheen and his Mountain Dew addiction) eat smart and live active lifestyles. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:01 pm 

Hi Mary,

I agree with the "pop" being a high sugar junk food. But If I recall what I heard on the news they stated that diet soda drinks made people fat as well. I've seen lots of heavy people drinking diet coke and the like.

Although I have no basis in fact, I attribute my mothers young death to cancer to diet drinks as she neither drank or smoked. The one thing she had a lot of was diet soda drinks.

I try to stay away but when I do drink them, it's regular coke and mountain dew for me!

Had a Moxie a couple of weeks ago, now there's a legend.

F.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:54 pm 

Be very, very careful with the results of this study.

f.Channell wrote:

If I recall what I heard on the news they stated that diet soda drinks made people fat as well.

Aaaccckkk!!!!!!

Association does not imply causality.

Here's a quote from the author of the study.

Quote:
Fowler is quick to note that a study of this kind does not prove that diet soda causes obesity. More likely, she says, it shows that something linked to diet soda drinking is also linked to obesity.

"One possible part of the explanation is that people who see they are beginning to gain weight may be more likely to switch from regular to diet soda," Fowler suggests. "But despite their switching, their weight may continue to grow for other reasons. So diet soft-drink use is a marker for overweight and obesity."

Why? Nutrition expert Leslie Bonci, MPH, RD, puts it in a nutshell.

You have to look at what's on your plate, not just what's in your glass," Bonci tells WebMD.

"A lot of people say, 'I am drinking a diet soft drink because that is better for me. But soft drinks by themselves are not the root of America's obesity problem," she says. "You can't go into a fast-food restaurant and say, 'Oh, it's OK because I had diet soda.' If you don't do anything else but switch to a diet soft drink, you are not going to lose weight."

There are many other theories being thrown around now, such as whether artificial sweetners make you crave calories, or the caramel coloring in cola-based sodas does something bad to you.

This isn't quite bad science, although it borders on it. But it certainly is a pretty rotten public interpretation of epidemiologic data.

In the wake of this study, the ADA has made STRONG recommendations towards continuing the switch away from sugar sodas to other alternatives - including diet sodas.

Ultimately people need to burn the calories they consume. If they don't, they get fat. It's pretty simple.

- Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:04 pm 

Dana wrote:

And those studies about losing bone density turned out to be bunk.

Maybe not.

Most of the colas have phosphoric acid in as a buffer to get the pH of the drink to a desired level. It's well known that getting your phosphorous to calcium balance out of wack can make you lose calcium. I learned that in physiology decades ago before any of the studies in question came out.

Just check on the label of the soda. Most colas have the phosphoric acid in as buffer. Clear drinks tend not to, such as my beloved Diet Dew.

Club soda (seltzer water, etc.) is just CO2 dissoved in water under higher than atmospheric pressure. One trip down the gut and you're going to belch out everything but the water.

Being a "club soda with a slice of lime" drinker at bars these days practically gives me celebrity status. The bartenders are more than happy to keep your glass full if you may be a designated driver for the partiers around you. I would call that a very healthy habit.

- Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:24 pm 

Here's a useful assessment from the Health section of the Wall Street Journal. Note the more carefully-done science reported at the end of this quote (a controlled study).

- Bill

Quote:
Barry Popkin, professor of global nutrition at the University of North Carolina's School of Public Health and frequent critic of the soft-drink industry, says he doesn't "put much credence" in the diet-drink findings in the study, which was published in the journal Circulation. He noted those findings included diabetics, who are at higher risk for health problems and more likely to use sugar-free beverages. When diabetics were excluded, the data were weaker, showing only a 16% higher risk for health problems among soda drinkers. Dr. Popkin says other research contradicts the findings, including a study that found overweight people who consumed diet beverages didn't gain weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:05 pm 

Just makes me wonder tho, if fast food joints sold only diet soft drinks or fat free milk, would the majority of people who inhaled the garbage "food" from Rotten Ronnies or Wendy's or Burger King be svelte? The voices in my head are saying "NOT"....

Anyone see "Supersize Me". I haven't eaten at any of the three mentioned above fast food joints in almost 2 years now because of that movie....