It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Obesity contagious????
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:01 pm 

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2007/07/ ... works.html

hmmmmm....... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:27 pm 

This study illustrates the "problem" with the study about diet sodas and metabolic syndrome.

ASSOCIATION DOES NOT IMPLY CAUSALITY

Mary and I were "Skyping" about this last night. Basically people with similar interests and habits tend to hang out together.

Want to find a whole bunch of people who partake in "smokeless tobacco"? Go to a NASCAR event. Note the Skoal logo everywhere.

Want to find a whole bunch of morbidly obese people with tattoos congregating in a single area? Go to a modern amusement park. (Passive entertainment.)

Want to find a whole bunch of smokers? Go to a bar.

Want to find whole families of obese people? Go to an "all you can eat" restaurant.

Certain venues attract people who engage in unhealthy habits. These venues then serve as places where said people can socialize and meet other people with the same unhealthy habits.

Here are a few other tips, only from the positive side.

Want to find a higher-than-normal congregation of buff, young people who care about how they look? Go to a modern gym with excellent equipment. (Avoid the places that cater to the self-conscious.) Look for an excellent free weight area where the really serious athletes train.

Want to find some of the most excellent-looking married women in your town? I kid you not - go to a Lowe's. Their business plan is to attract more women than Home Depot. And places which cater to the "do it yourself" crowd are going to attract younger, healthier, upwardly mobile, ambitious homeowners still on a tight budget.

We are social animals. It should be no surprise that obesity is "contagious." The good news is that healthy habits are equally contagious.

- Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:33 pm 

Hmmmm....some comments (and thank you for posting by the way - hope to see more of you here!!) :)

1 car with "Skoal" written over it, does not a crowd of smokeless tobacco chewers make. Indeed, I have several NASCAR fan friends who would rather eat broken glass than come anywhere near tobacco. They are a sophisicated, classy crew of people who are quite health conscious but like those fast cars.

Secondly, if you want to find a whole bunch of smokers in my province and indeed across my country and as well, in parts of yours, and around the world, you do NOT go to a bar. Smoking is now illegal in bars. If you want to get a drink, you go to a bar.

Quote:
Want to find a higher-than-normal congregation of buff, young people who care about how they look?

No not really....I would prefer to find people who care about their health based on smart lifestyles choices as opposed to how they look considering the social "ideals" young people have to deal with these days based on looks. Anyone can look good for a price.....it's much better to feel good.

Having said all that, I'm trying to stay away from my friend who would eat ice cream every day if she could. I know the temptation for me is way too strong. :)

Mar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:51 pm 

Boy is Lowe's stupid.

Teach them to frame with a hammer and nails? Total sale $30.00

Teach them to frame with a framing nail gun.

nail gun $300
Hose $50
Compressor $300
box of nails for gun $100

And what husband would balk if his wife brought home those toys?

If Lowe's marketing department would like to reach me. P.M. is fine.

And at least half those women Bill haven't seen their feet in 5 years.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:24 am 

Fred wrote:

And at least half those women Bill haven't seen their feet in 5 years.

Hmm... Maybe the New England variety. 8O

You should sit outside a typical Lowe's in the West End here, Fred. They don't grow no heffers in these parts. Must be that good Virginia living... ;)

Agreed about the marketing thing. Good luck getting the wife to bring the big boy toys home though... :lol:

- Bill