Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sushi, anyone?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:14 pm 

Hey everyone. Who out there loves sushi?

I do. I spent three days at the outerbanks with 5 other families over the New Year weekend. What fun!

Each families were responsible for one cocktail and appetizer night and one meal with wine night.

One of my good friends from Australia made sushi as her appetizer on her night. It was wonderful. She had the coolest 3-sided plastic mold she used. She lined it with the rice and fillings and then pushed everything out on the seawood wrap. I have looked on google but cannot seem to find it. Does anyone own one of these and know the name of it?

I have decided I want to learn to make great sushi.

Any leads?

Regards,
Vicki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:12 pm 

Vicki I've searched around and found molds but nothing with only 3 sides. Your weekend sounds like it was a blast (wish I could have been there!!) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:25 pm 

Well, maybe it was four sided...what do they look like?

Vicki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:09 am 

Here's one site and I also saw ones for round molds for rice balls:

http://www.ekitron.com/eshop/ids_cate_f ... er=&brand=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:59 pm 

in 1987 I went to LA for the first time to visit my dad.

Every night he asked where I wanted to have dinnner and offered to take us out to have sushi each night. I declined for six nights in a row and on the seventh and last night I was forced to go for sushi. It wasn't bad, for sure, but i wasn't yet sold either.

Living in Somerville, a roommate would buy sushi from the local Korean convenience store (ionically) that sold exactly one type of sushi (but the price was right).....Twas here that I began to enjoy sushi, although I call it lowbrow sushi.....

I bought a kit some years later to make sushi, but I didn't try to make it for quite some time.....tremendous inertia.....Twas a year or two later that I was feeling adventurous and me and a buddy made sushi for the first time......We spent hours cutting up far too many vegetables, bt had fun anyway (we were both cooking for our wives).......It didnt come out all that bad (it tasted fine but fell apart readily).......

If you enjoy eating sushi, I recommend trying to make it as some point (it is nowhere nearas difficult to make as some would have you believe)......i would say it is almost as easy as rolling a cigarette.......

I was a lowbrow sushi eater for quite some time. Socal has a series of places known as sushi boy....fast food sushi ....prices were good, and pretty good, too (remember, lowbrow sushi eater, not super snobish one).....

After being insulted at a local sushi eatery in this here town I find myself in, I found another fast food sushi place (just opened up) and no need to go to the high prcied sushi place again......Issy (my wife) and I went to have sushi at the sushi bar (sitting at a table just takes longer) and the waitress comes up and asks how we are doing (I have sat at the sushi bar so i can avoid having to wait for the waitress to bring me my food)......I ask her what is good on the menu tonight (and she leans over and cofides she doesn't like sushi)......she acted pushy throughout most of my meal, so when she finally pushed me far enough i tell her to feed the rest of it to the dogs (she has opened up the notion that she doesnt like sushi anyway)......so before I left, I went to use the restroom and find her making fun of my comment about feeding the rest of the food to the dog......my wife placed seven negative comments on-line about this restaurant (of course other patrons had also noted on-line that the place had great food and horrible service).....

Like I have said, I am not the biggest sushi expert, but i have been to some of the nicer restaurants with bigger sushi fans than I. For example, one of the biggest fans of sushi I have ever met was someone you would think would be anything but a fan of sushi (in the construction trades, a former trcuk driver for ten years and yet when we walk into a sushi restaurant, the first thing he does is ask the chef how the 'uni' is and what is good or fresh today........so that day at the sushi bar with the pushy waitress, I ask her what is good today (as in what is fresh?).....Sushi is supposed to be all about freshness leading to the best flavor and when she responds to what is good today with the "I do not like sushi".....i think to myself.......I didnt come out to eat to please my waitress, i came to feed myself......and i do not care if she likes sushi or not, but if a customer asks what is good on a given day, if she wants to be a good waitress, she should find out from the chef what is fresh that day....

let me put rice in some seeweed, throw some horseradish on it and wrap it with fresh fish & veggies.......throw in some rice wine and it should cost how much with rude service?!?!?!

you can not only make this.....you can have fun making it with friends, family, etc.......and you can save big bucks........I still go out for sushi, but I enjoy sushi so much I like to be able to eat it often (which making it ourselves allows us to do)......

we have lots of sushi in this town that is ultra low brow (buffet-all you can eat) .......i do this more often than any other kind of sushi.....

for some reason.....i do not do cream cheese in my sushi.......to me, cream cheese should only be mixed with fish on a bagel (welll toasted)....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:51 pm 

I totally agree with you on the service Akil...nothing can ruin a great meal like horrible service. But then again, good service can also make a meal much better.

On Friday I went to a local eatery for a hamburger. Normally the food there is great but my burger was only partially cooked. I was very disappointed because I was hungry and the food is always great there.

When everyone else had finished and the waitress came over to take the plates and finish us up, I pointed out to the waitress that my burger wasn't quite cooked (I was very polite about it - they were busy and I know this happens), she immediately took my plate into the kitchen and had a word with the chef.

Not only did I not have to pay for my meal but got a coupon for the next meal to be free. Even though I didn't pay she ended up with a great tip from me for her assistance.

Do you have any sushi combos you'd like to share? I've never made sushi but I think it may be time to have a sushi party some night with friends....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:26 pm 

"Would you like anything else?"

how about to be left alone (I'll signal you if I want anything)......

if i want to be bothered, I'll go to a convenience store a few minutes after school lets out (lock them kids in cages all day and see what happens when you open the cage-pandemonium)......

Funny things is, Mary (believe it or not), I prefer NOT to complain (as opposed to my ex-wife who loved to complain just so she could get free stuff-she would practicaly go out of her way to find a complaint just so she COULD get free stuff). In most cases, I would just deal with the poor service or below par food, give a decent tip, not extraordinary and not return anytime soon (I would rather not be confrontational if it can be avoided)........and I was on my way out of the restaurant when I decided to take a detour to the restroom when I found my server making fun of me (and I didnt even bother to make fun of her claiming she didnt like sushi-I was so surprised-I am often slow on comebacks when insulted).....I had already paid and already tipped-couldnt change that.....

I went home and called the manger (receipt in hand to explain how I was treated and see if they had any interest in resolving the situation).....they claimed the manager would call me back and s/he never did.......as I said in the other post....my wife the former web developer/designer found seven on-line restaurant review sites and gave them bad ratings on all seven sites (where she also found other people were similarly disapointed with the service).....

of course, that gave me impetus to find another sushi restaurant (once I find one i like i tend to just go there repeatedly without searching others out).....so really, it worked out well in the end since the new place I go to is less expensive (fewer otions, but then again, I avoid the extravagant & the poisonous, and the expensive stuff anyway......they have a conveyor belt that puts out rice on seaweed and they add toppings & make it quite quick.......if i want to wait a long time for a meal, i'll make it myself.....by the time i am ready to go out and eat, I am pretty hungry and not interested in waiting or paying anyone to bring it to me (I'll save a few bucks and walk over and get my own meal and even wipe my own table if i can save a few bucks......i only went to the rerstaurant to save the hassle of having to cook....

favorites.....I love avocado on sushi (not sure how AUTHENTIC).....the imitation crab meat I wouldnt do without and I would always do tuna & salmon.....as long as I have these three.....I am fine........carrots, celery......i do not get too fancy......just keep em coming.......

and find yourself a local asian supermarket....they wont just have your sushi supplies, they will likely have lots of other goodies as well.....I have found some triangle and square sushi molds at some asian supermarkets (on-line works well, too of course).....i was just rolling em for quite soem time....I didnt graduate to molds for a couple of years (they are fun too....perhaps a little easier to keep em together (easier to smush without breaking the seaweed)......the firs thing my wife has to find when we move to a new neighborhood is her local asian supermarket to get various spices she'd never find anywhere else (and often some fish at decent priaces-not necessarily sushi fresh, but good for other meals)..... :lol:

Mary, your making me hungry for sushi (not the buffet style either)......havent made it in too long...... 8O