Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Type 2 Diabetes
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:54 pm 

Here’s a little factoid on diabetes in the US from the NDIC:

Total: 23.6 million people—7.8 percent of the population—have diabetes.
Diagnosed: 17.9 million people
Undiagnosed: 5.7 million people

Type 2 diabetes is associated with older age, obesity, family history of diabetes, history of gestational diabetes, impaired glucose metabolism, physical inactivity, and race/ethnicity.

Now, my mom has Type 2 Diabetes. She was the perfect candidate for the disease (how many people do you know put butter on rice krispy squares?). She was overweight, didn’t exercise, ate poorly…she was diagnosed last year in the fall of 2007 and I thought I’d share a little bit about it as there is a family history with this disease for me.

My mom changed her lifestyle totally. She spoke with dieticians at the hospital, she talked with other people who had Type 2 Diabetes, she started walking, lifting weights (mind you, she’s in her 80s), ate smaller food portions, ate smarter food portions, I helped her to find recipes, got her off sugar and onto to stevia, found information online to give her about healthy lifestyle choices.

Bottom line is she has lost over 40 pounds, is brighter, more alert, sleeps better, is more active, and has been told that her blood sugar levels have returned to normal. (And no, she hasn’t reverted back to her bad ways!)

Anyway here are some great recipes (not just for folks with diabetes) and if anyone has a few they’d like to share – I’d be more than happy to see them here!! :)

http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/Diabetes/ ... nners.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:12 pm 

CONGRATS to your mom for taking charge of her health! I too was diagnosed with type II about 2 years ago and lost about 58 lbs and found renewed health, etc. Pregnancy has been a bit challenging because of gaining a lot of that weight back, but I am going to use some of these recipes to get back to pre baby weight and keep working on losing more weight, etc.

Thanks for the well-timed information...and again...WOO HOOO for your mother's great reaction to what can be a scary diagnosis!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:23 pm 

Thanks Shana...it has been a challenge for her.

She came for Christmas last year convinced there was nothing at my house she could eat. She had put herself on a strict regime of food and it took half an hour just to prepare breakfast for her. Her first meal of the day went something like this:

1 shredded wheat
1 package of stevia
1/3 cup of skim milk
1 small glass of orange juice or
1/2 an orange or
1/2 an apple
1 egg poached or soft/hard boiled (not fried)
1 piece of whole grain toast (no butter)
1 half of banana*
1 cup of tea (no milk or sugar)

* My mother HATES bananas and I would catch her feeding them to my cat who hovered under the table every morning like a shark - which I quickly nipped in the bud. I told her if she hated them that much, just don't eat them. She thought I'd uttered a blasphemy until her dietician told her the same thing when she got home.

She's at a point now where she can have one or two "bad" things every 2-3 months in moderation. :) When she was down to visit in May she had lobster (the dietician had told her that if she were diabetic and someone put lobster in front of her, she would certainly eat it!) :) She said it was the best thing she'd had in over a year and honestly she had no more than 1/2 cup.

All-in-all I'm very proud of her....it's been a struggle at times but she has found lots of things she can eat and has become very inventive at her food selection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:27 am 

Mary, that is so great about your mother! What an accomplishment for her.

My mom has Type 11 Diabetes as well. She is very overweight, has had one knee replaced, one knee scoped, has high blood pressure, hip and back troubles, and sleep apnea...all associated with the weight.

She did the Atkins years ago and lost quite a lot of weight but does not stay strictly on this.

I would give almost anything to see my mom make the life change your mother has. My mom is only 72 years old and has never really exercised, that I can remember. I don't believe my mother will ever change her sedentary life style. It is such a shame and breaks my heart.

This is why I am so fanatical about watching my weight and exercising. I don't want to straddled with all of these issues.

This is why I am so happy for both you and your mother. Keep up the great work, both of you.

God bless,
Vicki