Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Where is Mary?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:57 am 

Hey, hope your doing good, don't know how to cook, but feel like something's been missing from these forums.

I hope you and yours are doing fine, I've had quite a scare with one of my best friends over the last few days, and still don't know where things stand.

Just noticed your silence and thought I'd say "hey".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:08 am 

Hey - sorry I've been so quiet here (in real life it's been crazy with work, Christmas prep, etc.) - I know, no excuse (I guess I'll have to make a resolution or two come the new year!) :)

Funny how the holidays have a way of stressing you out, trying to get everything done for that one day....so...here are a few quite ideas to make the holiday cooking a little easier.

Instead of turkey with all the fixings how about salmon? Did one last year, wrapped a whole one in tin foil and baked it in the oven - super healthy and a great change from that heavy holiday meal. Drizzled it with honey and served it with toasted almonds, a lovely light salad and side of rice and brussel sprouts. AWESOME!!

And for dessert - we are going to have cheesecake straight from the store (just as good and way easier than cooking all day)

Another great idea is cooking breakfast on the 24th - for the 25th - a light quiche is a lovely breakfast/brunch on the big day, served with warmed sausages cooked the day before, a few mimosas and WOW a supper Christmas morning starter.

Here's the link to my fav holiday quiche:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1826,15 ... 05,00.html

Seafood is a great alternative to those heavy meals - for example, this year for new year's eve instead of going out and spending a fortune, we're staying in, having mussels in wine sauce, scallops in breadcrumb crust, and lobster (seriously on sale up here in the Maritimes). That with a bottle of bubbly curled up on the couch with the sweety is going to make for a lovely evening.

To everyone on the forums - I wish you the most wonderful holiday season, stay warm, travel safely and spend time with your loved ones.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! :x-mas: