Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:38 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:44 pm 

Some of us are finding dinnertime more challenging due to costs and also wanting to eat healthier. So I was wondering how many of you plan or make meals so they can last over several nights and still be tasty, and interesting.

Here's my first offering:

first night: a rotisserie chicken or a roasted turkey breast with your favourite veggies

second night: chunk up the chicken and toss in skillet with some olive oil and jerk seasonings, then use to top off salad greens with some cheese and sunflower seeds (if you do dressing, ranch or a thai peanut sauce goes nicely with the jerk chicken)

if time, finish pulling meat off chicken and boil chicken
bones in some water with carrots, celery, onions (I keep
prechopped in freezer for quick things like this) and
some herbs to make some fresh stock. rest of chicken
should drop off bone to make stock even better.

third night: left over veggies, stock,and rest of pulled chicken can be used to make either chicken pot pies (broth thickened with flour or cornstarch) or chicken soup (with rice, noodles, or simply more veggies)

any other good ideas out there? (extra points for healthy meals)
[/b][/u]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:52 pm 

Using the crock pot, I'll often do a pot of beans (black beans are my fav) with some bacon, peppers, onions, garlic, and herbs (savory, epazote, bay, etc.) tossed in. I'll often cook with stock and beer as the liquid.

first night: serve beans as meal. usually by themselves and a good hunk of cornbread.

second night: serve as beans and rice with some nice andouille, kielbasa, or brats (hot dogs if you're REALLY on a budget), perhaps with a side of greens

third night: take rest of beans, add some tomatoes and/or paste, ground beef, ground pork, chili pepper, and other fav chili seasonings of choice (a dash of herb vinegar, cumin, garlic, and a dash of gumbo file are mine...sometimes a dash of chocolate and cinnamon if I'm in a Cinncinati inspired mood...although this would not be authentic, it's a nice change of pace) and chili with some sour cream and cheese to finish off the pot

fourth night: if anything left, use the chili dregs and any sausage leftovers to make chili dogs with mustard and onions or your bun loving choices

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:53 pm 

of course...you don't have to eat these all in a row...sometimes you simply need something different...but one of these interspersed with different can fill a week and your tummy well!