Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:29 am 

It was last year - late in the summer...

A friend had joined us for dinner, but we hadn't made any special plans - it was really just spur of the moment.

I'd been experimenting with pizza on the BBQ largely because it was really hot and cooking outdoors was preferable, but also because this particular BBQ managed to reach the unusually high temperatures required for making good pizza on a stone.

We simply made salad with nasturtions, mustard, redleaf and butternut lettuces - all from the garden - with a simple vinagrette.

Fresh and simple.

The kicker was the pizza - I started making a basic tomatoe (fresh from the garden) and cheese pizza with a little salt and pepper and then I added a selection of herbs from the garden, and I was going to stop there, but my wife suggested I add some of the baby spinach from the garden. I ended up placing a huge pile of fresh baby spinach, still alive and photosynthesizing, over the cheese and oregano and basil and margoram all of which wilted to a mere wisp as it baked on the stone in the 800 degree BBQ.

The salad was fresh and crisp and deliscious as only it can be right from the ground and the pizza was crisp on the bottom with slightly charred bits around the edges and a thin sliver of tasty green spinach covering a sprinkle of fresh chopped herbs, hand sliced mozzerella and fresh grated parmasiana from the round all placed over sliced tomatoes which had only been picked moments before.

I didn't realize it at the time, but this meal set the bar for 2011. It's been another long cold winter up here, followed by a slow, cool and wet spring. This past weekend I managed to set up my garden and, as I did so, I wondered at what great meals might come of it this time around.

Train hard, eat well!!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:31 am 

Drool........

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:47 am 

Hey Leo - if you're ever in the neighbourhood you're most welcome to join us for a meal!