Little or young, "elders" required?

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Ronin1966

Little or young, "elders" required?

Post by Ronin1966 »

Good Morning,

Do little girls, very young women just starting out require older female classmates to help/inspire them in some manner that a male cannot, or is somehow unable?

Let me preface my question by saying I am not suggesting it is required, merely wondering aloud if there is anything I had not considered or was simply unaware of being an issue... which should be considered? Further I will preface my thoughts by agreeing that if that older/adult woman is a BAD model of habits/behaviors would obviously not be a good thing.
Sincerely,

Jeff
~Self-Defense~: Learning how to get out of one's own way! Kara-te: Learning how to smile in the face of all things...
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

I make a practice of not speaking for all women - so what I'll do is share with you my experience.

I started martial arts by training judo in college. The instructors were used to teaching both males and females in the class. However mostly the men came to the extra evening club practices.

What was important to me when I started out was that my instructors simply worked to help me figure out how to make the skills effective for me.

Play to your strengths, work on your weaknesses. This was true for everyone - not just women.

So from an instructor's standpoint what I think is important to be listening for sentiments such as "I can't do that because I'm not a boy" or "Boys are always better at this". And it means having an answer ready in your back pocket about why there are or are not senior women in your school. If there are not then it would make sense to have found out about some of the women olympians in several co-ed sports and martial arts to show that women can compete and train and be successful.

My late night opinion.

Dana
Did you show compassion today?
2Green

Post by 2Green »

Question:
"Do little girls, very young women just starting out require older female classmates to help/inspire them in some manner that a male cannot, or is somehow unable?"

My answer (I'm a guy): I don't think they "require" it to "succeed" but I think it is a strong and positive influence.
I believe young women would and will benefit from having women role models in training, and should have such models.

The word "Sensei" has been translated as "one who has gone before".
This applies as "a woman who has gone before" in this case.
I think it's a good thing.
However, lots of men can train women too.

NM
Mary Chant

Post by Mary Chant »

I also can't speak for all women, only myself. When I began studying at 13(many, many years ago), there was only one woman--she was a yon-kyu. While I couldn't tell you what I needed at the time, I do remember that she reached out to me, helped me with the basics, modeled good student behavior, etc. She made me feel welcome and that I had a place there, which I very much appreciated and helped me to come back. The guys were nice enough, but probably didn't even notice me.

So, while I can't really say what other women need, I do feel it is my responsibility to reach out to all new students, and make a special effort to connect with girls and women, because many of them are stepping way out of their comfort zones to even walk through the doors. I want them to feel like they have a place in our dojo, and that they belong.

Mary
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

I do feel it is my responsibility to reach out to all new students, and make a special effort to connect with girls and women, because many of them are stepping way out of their comfort zones to even walk through the doors. I want them to feel like they have a place in our dojo, and that they belong.
Amen!!!
Did you show compassion today?

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”