Do you know what you're studying?

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Dana Sheets

Do you know what you're studying?

Post by Dana Sheets »

Source:
http://koryu-uchinadi.com/Koryu%20Uchinadi.htm

One of the things I admire most about Patrick McCarthy's approach is that he has developed a cohesive, comprehensive framework he uses to transmit his knowledge. I find this to be an appealing why to approach my training and I will be working to make sure I understand my art in these various ways.
Dana
An Overview
Koryu Uchinadi Kenpo-jutsu©
Seizing & Impacting
Empty-handed, one-on-one, self-defence
This Material Copyright Patrick McCarthy © 1997-2005

Koryu Uchinadi Theory
1. Habitual Acts of Physical Violence
2. Tactical Strategies
3. Anatomy & Physiology
4. Applied Science
5. Pedagogical Principles

Classification of Application - In the one-on-one HAPV scenario the classification of application refers to seizing & impacting, any single use and or of combination thereof.
1. Percussive impact
2. Strangulation
3. Balance displacement
4. Joint/connective tissue/cavity manipulation
5. Grappling

Application Principles - Application principles address the anatomical attack structure, the part of the body used to transfer energy [fist, foot, elbow, etc.] the angle to the structure, its direction and the required power.
1. Location
2. Tool
3. Angle
4. Direction
5. Intensity

5 Ancient Machines - When contrasted with the human body the 5 ancient machines provide the fundamental principles with which applications work.
1. Wheel & Axel
2. Screw
3. Pulley
4. Wedge
5. Lever

Common Tools - Every *style* of karate [actually every form of empty-handed self-defence] employ these common tools.
1. Fore-fist Punch
2. Kicking
3. Receiving
4. Posturing
5. Striking

Base Categories - Most combative-like traditions, irrespective of nature/nurture, are part or all of the base categories.
1. Sport
2. Self Defence
3. Physical Fitness
4. Lifestyle
5. Business
Did you show compassion today?
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Great Dana !!

you know I`m a fan , I find his approach to be refreshing and so comprehensive .

The HAPV theory was probably the greatest tool to begin to understand application

To define the questions and relationships makes understanding the answers so much easier .
hoshin

Post by hoshin »

Dana;
i am usually pretty good at reading, digesting and applying concepts but i would like to hear your thoughts and/or interpretaion on the "ancient machines " part of his concept. i am not sure they really apply or mabe i just look at things too deeply and miss the meaning.
i personlly like to classify things and put them in thier little box for convienence. i tend to use concepts from bio-machanics and physics and i am finding at the moment the two are not matching up.

Hoshin
~~~~~
hoshin

Post by hoshin »

here are some of the concepts i use;

expantion and contraction

"gravity works" (mosty apllied during throws lol)

every action has and equal reaction ..yatta yatta

3rd class levers

applied force over time( longer you hold a ball when u throw it the faster it goes)

sen no sen (japanese timing concept)

hoshin
~~~~
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

The wedge and screw combined to me are the circle movement in Uechi. A sliding plane of force with a slight rotation that helps it penetrate.

I'm not sure about the pulley yet. Though I'll ask him about it when I see him in seminar in August.

I'm also working on the levers.

class 1 = see saw
class 2 = wheelbarrow
class 3 = fishing pole

So the typical arm bar is a class 2
The arm bar where you have their arm over your shoulder is class 1
And the "Buck Rogers" throw where you plant your foot in their chest and then heave & roll backwards throwing them over your head is a class 3.

The main reason I want to get a grip on these concepts is because sometimes the language I use now to explain things just doesn't work for some students. So maybe if I can learn better the language of physics and machines I can find another way to transmit the principle.
Did you show compassion today?
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

I see the pulley in hip throws and sacrifice throws .

when you grab a arm and make yourself the pulley to transfer weight around .

but just my take .

I like the list , just gives another way of veiwing application principles over Individual techniques .
hoshin

Post by hoshin »

a true class 3 lever is non-efficient. by that i mean it will take 50 pounds of pressure to lift 10 pounds of wieght (dont quote me on the numbers. just using them to get my point across) the human body is made of 3rd class levers. inefficient yes but great for mobility.

i dont get the pully thing either maybe some of the UV people can chime in.

Hoshin
~~~~~

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”