Strategy and Tactics

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Dana Sheets

Strategy and Tactics

Post by Dana Sheets »

A very excellent article by Rory. Can't get it out of my head.

Dana

http://www.cyberkwoon.com/new/kb.php?mo ... print=true
STRATEGY TRAINING
Goals dictate strategy.
Strategy dictates tactics.
Tactics dictate techniques.
Strategy and environment dictate tactics. Tactics are the ‘how’ of implementing strategy. Availability of weapons, targets, escape routes, as well as lighting, footing and space are all elements of the environment that will affect your choice of tactics.

Tactics and the “totality of circumstances” dictate the specific technique you will use. Totality of circumstances is the law enforcement term for all of the infinite details of the moment that influence a decision.

Goal: stop bad guy from hurting me. Strategy: fight. Tactic: hit him with a stick many times. Technique: snap to the exposed temple.

The point: If your goal changes, so will everything: how you move, how you think, how you act. The striving for perfection of a single goal, the hallmark of dojo training, is far too narrow for real life.
Excellent points on dojo training vs street fighting.

AND - striving for perfection of a single goal can also be a means of building character, pushing for personal development, building patience and tenacity. You must understand your goals in training as much as your goals in fighting.

Great, great article.
Dana
Did you show compassion today?
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Thanks for posting this Dana. Lots of goodness from Rory in there.
Strategy and environment dictate tactics. Tactics are the ‘how’ of implementing strategy. Availability of weapons, targets, escape routes, as well as lighting, footing and space are all elements of the environment that will affect your choice of tactics.
Yes! :D
I was dreaming of the past...
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

An excellent article indeed :) and I agree with it totally.
The problem with MA's is they are too restrictive :lol: :lol:
Folks like to have their"Sanchin tested".........I would like to try that with a Bowie knife :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think that to fight really well you need only a few simple tools...Kendo has three basic cuts, boxing has three basic punches 8)
it's not the guys who do the flying spinning revers kicks who are dangerous.......never where never will be :lol: there is a lot to do with intent and a lot to do with opportunity. i used to read cowboy books ( in fact I loved them :oops: :oops: ....I always wanted to be a cowboy :oops: ....still do, or maybe a traindriver)......anyway cowboy books tell you to shoot the bad guy threetimes once to kill him, twice to make sure, and third time for if anything goes wrong with the other two times......now karate should be like that. Karate shouldn't look like second rate boxing...I often think tha tthe one-knuckle punch ( with an uderstanding of anatomy or accupuncture) is the only weapon you need. :wink:

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”