Women's Opinion on Pull-ups

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Do pull-ups for women on FireDragon challenge?

Yes, there should be enough women who can do one or more pull-ups
No votes
I'd rather see a one-minute, flexed-arm hang time
100%
I have another idea for an upper-body pulling assessment (and is easy to do and measure)
No votes

Total votes: 2

Bill Glasheen

Women's Opinion on Pull-ups

Post by Bill Glasheen »

George has asked me to create a FireDragon fitness challenge (assessment) for camp. You can read a bit about it on the hyperlink I created.

As I have it, the test is the following.

1) Max number of push-ups in a minute

go immediately to station 2

2) Max number of pull-ups in a minute

go immediately to station 3

3) Max number of sit-ups in a minute

go immediately to station 4

4) Best of 2 standing broad jumps, done within a minute

go immediately to station 5

5) Max number of thigh-parallel squats in a minute

go immediately to station 6

6) Timed mile run

This isn't supposed to be a picnic, and few people will do "excellent" in all categories. I'm taking the raw scores and combining them in a fashion such that each category counts about equal. Thus if you do well on 3 categories, OK on 2, and really stink on 1, you won't have such a bad score. Over time I will create separate scoring categories by age and by gender.

Here's the question.

Should I maintain station number 2 as pull-ups for women? I know some women will not be able to do any. A zero score is fine... It will be 1/6 of the total score, and I can average it all in. All I need is to be able to assess women with some kind of pulling/gripping upper-body exercise that I can do in a minute and doesn't take any fancy schmancy equipment. I'll have a hard enough time finding a chin-up bar (or 2 or 3) as it is.

I could do an alternate like length of time (in a minute) for a flexed-arm hang. This is what they did with girls in high school way back when. But are we being patronizing here with our Uechi women? Or am I being unrealistic in expecting enough women at least to be able to do a few pull-ups so I can differentiate them from each other on their pulling strength-to-weight ratio abilities?

Your vote would be appreciated. WOMEN ONLY! And post your thoughts if you have them.

Thanks.

- Bill
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

BTW - I'd edit my vote if I could. I don't think a 60 second arm hang should equal one pull up. So if you stick to that proposed standard then make it pull ups for everyone.

Dana
Did you show compassion today?
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

That's an extra step going from raw score to combined score, Dana. I want to give people a choice, but would prefer if everyone could at least consider the pull-up.

I don't know what the equivalency is; it will take some reasearch. I will need a bunch of people to do both tests.

As I said, the raw scores will remain the raw scores, as long as we don't change things. Over time I can re-combined the raw scores to produce new adjusted scores.

This way at least women (or men*) get a nonzero result for that part of the test if they can't do a single pull-up. And if they can pull-up, then they're good to go.

- Bill

* Years ago at Exeter I remember all of us having fitness assessments. There was a tall, pear-shaped young fellow I recall who couldn't do a pull-up.

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”