Don't Cry for me Argentina

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Don't Cry for me Argentina

Post by Guest »

Ruth Haeussler just got back from Argentinia yesterday. She participated in the two tournaments, the 2005 World Cup and the 2005 Uechi Cup.

Ruth grew up in New York City speaking Spanish as her first language so there was no language barrier.

She is so excited. She won the Gold Medal in Woman's Kata in BOTH tournaments. She performed Seisan in the World Cup and Sei Ryu in the Uechi Cup. She also entered the sparring competition but failed to place in either event. I thought she would do well in sparring because she's feisty and has good counter punching skills. The sparring champion was a six foot tall woman who had devastating side kicks. Perhaps we'll find out more in the near future.

She said there was a large contingent of Canadians who participated and a large group from Boston, many of whom she knew from Koshukai in Conneticut.

Master Gushi was there as was Yoshiharu Arakaki, a 9th dan Uechi Ryu from South America, and an 8th degree Goju Ryu Master, Fusse Takeyosh.

The trip is quite a commitment. She needs to keep the recolections of it in her Kyhon Journal!
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Wonderful wonderful wonderful. Big props to Ruth for having the gumption to put herself on the life, face unknown competition from around the world and obviously show off her excellent skills.

John,
Please invite her to drop by and share her impressions of her trip. She must have such great stories to tell. Also please encourge her to write down her memories. That along with her pictures would make a great article not only in the local newspaper but perhaps also in some of the Martial Arts trade mags.

Congratulations Ruth!!!

Dana
Did you show compassion today?
msreiww

World Cup for Peace in Argentina

Post by msreiww »

:DHello everyone, I wanted to thank John for mentioning me in this wonderful website. I wanted to make a few corrections. I came in first place for my division (over 40) for both the Open WOKSF-IKA Support Championship and The Uechi Ryu World Cup (First World Wide open cup for peace). It was an Honor to compete with such talented women. I was the only woman in my division who wanted to sparr so I had to drop down to a younger age bracket 30 to 39. I sparred two extremely talented women Stacey Abdella from Canada (very tall and powerful kicks) in the WOKSF-Ika and Maria Gondra from Argentina 3rd Degree in the World Cup for peace. Maria is fast as lightning and exciting to watch. She beat Stacey in the WOKSF-Ika But lost to Gabriela who alos beat Stacey in the Uechi Ryu World cup. Gabriela is also from Argentina and it was Gabriela who Came in First Place for the Uechi Ryu World Cup And Maria Gondra Came in First for sparring for the WOKSF-Ika And Maria Came in Second for The sparring in the Uechi-Ryu World cup for peace. There is so much more to share but all the information and pictures are on the website just go to www.uechiryuworldcup.com Major props to Master Gustavo Gondra 8th Dan for putting on such an exciting eventful week!!!!!

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”