Has it come to this?

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

2Green

Has it come to this?

Post by 2Green »

In the "pink pages" (girl's section) of the Fall/Winter Sear's catalogue, page 940, among the "DANCE MAKER" dancing in the dark set, and the"BALLET ENSEMBLE" in a tote bag, and the "Dancerella Home Studio", complete with Ballet Slippers, you will find the BLACK BELTS KARATE HOME STUDIO.
This (I quote) "helps kids learn Karate basics" and includes a 30-minute Tommy Nitro instructional video, and an "inflatable heavy bag". (parentheses mine. Can anyone define that please?)
It's only $39.95

Listed next is a "BLACK BELTS" KARATE Gi UNIFORM, includes traditional wrap-top, pants, and BLACK BELT.
That's only $24.95.

Makes you proud to be a part of the tradition, doesn't it?
All that, for under 75 bucks.
The junior KarateKa pictured (wearing the Black Belt of course) is the only guy on the mostly-pre-teen ballerina page.
He looks about 8.

Anyone who posts here and knows me at all by my previous posts, please understand that, sense of humour aside, I am deeply offended and outraged by this.
I am not offended in the least by intelligent KarateKa who shred my opinions, because ultimately they intend to promote the good of Karate, as do I.
But I AM offended by marketeers who would diminish my Martial Art to this level.
Or, more to the point, is THIS the way Joe Average perceives Karate among the Martial Arts, and why?

2G
The music spoke to me. I felt compelled to answer.
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

:cry: :oops: :cry: :evil:

Post by Guest »

See This is what happens when you don't have a makiwara they start lumping you in with the dancers. :roll:

Joke, people a joke.

Sorry to see Sears competing with me. But I'll get one of these in every school.

Won't be long before I'm filthy rich and everyone is calling me master :wink: Hell I'll demand they call me McMaster :rofl:
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

see how pointless those peices of cloth are ? !!!

this kind of thing only degenerates your art if you let it .

It may degrade the ranking system .

but the karates your own . Who gives a toss what others think , it works or it doesnt , you enjoy it or you dont .

hey maybe even some kids will find it fun and go on to train realistically .

no worse than dressing up as a policeman or fireman or ninja ;)

are we really that important ?

Post by Guest »

Somethings are worse than playing dress up I guess mate.

That this for example.

Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

The trappings or the training?

Belts, gi, patches, associations, titles...in the end those things are all trappings. What matters is the training. Getting on the floor and training. You can't control what other people do or what the great American commercial machine will churn into the next fad. You can only control whether or not your get your feet on the floor as often as possible and break a sweat.
Did you show compassion today?
2Green

Post by 2Green »

Thanks for letting me rant. All replies appreciated!

I guess it's just a stupid toy...it just psses me off that they sell it as a legitimate "way to learn...:" etc.
Sears make great wrenches and snowblowers, but they outstep their bounds on occasion (musical instruments and martial arts for example) and use "Brand Power" to legitimize their offerings to a trusting public.
Even their toy-tool sets are labeled "My First Craftsman".

Just gag me, ok?! No biggie.

2G
The music spoke to me. I felt compelled to answer.

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”