Thoughts and prayers for the Gulf Cost Victims

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Dana Sheets

Thoughts and prayers for the Gulf Cost Victims

Post by Dana Sheets »

The situation is one of mixed horror and hope. I'm grateful so many people left ahead of the storm, saddened that their cities have been torn apart, and fearful for those who remain in the chaos.
Kevin Mackie

Post by Kevin Mackie »

1-800-salarmy

or

www.salvationarmyusa.org

You can request that your donation go directly to the relief effort.

The company I work for is in the energy business and has sales representatives in the area whose families and friends have been affected by the destruction.

The people here are organizing collections of food, clothing, and money to help those in the region. The company will match cash donations. Maybe worth a mention to those in other companies who have influence on how management spends their charitable reserves.
Last edited by Kevin Mackie on Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I've been speechless over the Biblical proportions of the calamity. We had some pretty terrible devastation here in Richmond last year from Gaston. But what we see on the Gulf Coast is incomprehensible.

What I'm also finding fascinating is the stories about roving gangs who first went to the Wall Mart to clean out the firearms section, and now are stealing generators and supplies from emergency aid workers. And Houston opens up their Astrodome arms to the New Orleans Superdome refugees being flooded out, only to experience gang violence within the Astrodome. If you think "Iraq" can't happen here, you don't understand human nature.

And then there is the good...

It is the best of times, and the worst of times.

- Bill
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

Worst of predicted fears, unimaginable and effects all who have compassion. Very difficult to comprehend the suffering and loss. Yes , it brings out the worse in few but best in more.
In the end, those who took unfair advantage will be left with truely a hollow life. Those that seen and gave the best of themselves will have at least something positive in thier life to take with them. Much will eventually be learned from this "calamity" and in future may save others from suffering the same faith in future disasters.
Everyone I speak with seems to feel deeply for those effected.
Much is being given in donations (from my area alone) even by some with so little to give. The "dark side" of human nature will eventually pale in comparison.
In our prayers
Léo
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

My thought's and prayers go out to Vicki's family and extended family in Louisianna and Mississippi. They have lost much, but fortunately they all are still with us.

May those thoughts multiply a thousand fold to all who have been affected.

- Bill
IJ

Post by IJ »

"In the end, those who took unfair advantage will be left with truely a hollow life"

I wish. There are simply too many people who do not feel empathy or guilt the way normal people do. They take, and think only of themselves. I still believe there's karma out there somewhere for them.

It's revealing how easily humbled even the most powerful nation on earth can be when Nature misbehaves. Reminds us how fragile our health is and how closely related to simple things like our water supply. How dependent our economy and services are on gasoline. How many different areas of the US are vulnerable to tsunami, earthquake, tornado, hurricane, drought, or whatever.

Good time to stop and think about what it means to be rich and what's really of value. It's hard to gripe about minor tribulations at work or at a red light given the scale of the disaster.
--Ian

Post by Guest »

I have really been moved by the situation with peoples cats and dogs. CNN keeps running pictures on their websites of sad doggies looking out windows at flooded streets and it's just breaking my heart.
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

http://www.petfinder.com/

One of many organizations devoted to pets/animals that are accepting donations to save doggies, kitties, et al that are stranded.

Gene
chef

Thank you, Bill.

Post by chef »

I solicit those prayers very much.

My Mom and Dad (plus 4 cats and one dog) are staying with my sister and still don't know whether they have lost their home in New Orleans. My Dad has emphysema and asthma on top of that. They are both in their 70's. They will probably rotate and live with us even though we need to paint and finish our home to sell before moving to Cincinnati next May.

My in-laws got 6-7 feet of water in their home as well on the Mississippi Gulf Coast Coast. They are staying in Jackson but we are trying to convince them to come up here with us or try to rent them a place. Don't know if there house is going to be livable due to the incredible mold and saturation of water from nearby bayou. My father-in-law has terminal colon cancer and is going through chemo and radiation at this time. Both are in their 80's.

My aunt and uncle in Biloxi lost everything and are staying at their daughter's home. Both are in their 70's.

My youngest brother, wife, and three boys are relocating to Tenn. They lost their home and don't want to come back.

My brother-in-law is an only child living in St. Croix. He is down there now with three of their kids trying to clean up and make the house inhabitable. His parents had three feet of water in their Biloxi home and want to relocate elsewhere. His Dad has severe emphysema and is on oxygen most of the time. They are in the 80's.

I still don't know about several cousins living in Biloxi.

As I said, I solicit your prayers and thank you in advance.

Regards,
Vicki
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

I'm really sorry to hear about what's happened to your family Vicki. I'll keep you and your family in our prayers. Let us know how things are going.
I was dreaming of the past...
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Oh..God..Vicky_ what sadness :cry:

My prayers are with your family.
Van
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

May those who are strong stay strong, may those who are able stay able, and may those who need care receive all the care they need.

Love and support to you and yours Vicki.
Dana
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

This morning reminds me of the movie Bruce Almighty. To top it all off, someone got into Vicki's car last night and stole her stereo. It was the stellar piece that came with a used car purchase.

OK, God, enough is enough!!! :bad-words:

Don't worry, all, we will not let this pass without a fight. Family is family.

- Bill
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

:x :twisted: When it rains it pours :x
Van

Post by Guest »

Gene DeMambro wrote:http://www.petfinder.com/

One of many organizations devoted to pets/animals that are accepting donations to save doggies, kitties, et al that are stranded.

Gene
Thanks Gene, I sent them $25. I got a real soft spot for puppies and kitties..

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”