Okikukai Seminar?

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Mills75

Okikukai Seminar?

Post by Mills75 »

Just curious to see if anyone from the boards went to visit with some of the Okikukai masters who came to America recently? I think some of the masters who were there were Uechi Sensei and Takamiyagi Sensei and Higa Sensei along with another well known master that I can't recall the name of at this time.

My Sensei made the trip along with two other instructors from our school and seemed to have had a great time training with the good people of our Okikukai group who came from Okinawa to share some more valuable information and time with us. One day I hope to be able to meet and train with some of them also.

They have a nice picture in the dojo of all the Okikukai masters and my sensei and our two instructors along with Walter Mattson. It's a nice photo and I enjoyed seeing the new addition to the dojo and hearing a little about the trip.
Did any of you make it up for the seminar?

Jeff
Jeff
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Hi Jeff,

I didn't make it up there myself. One student from our dojo went where he tested for and received his shodan. (He also trains with and under his father.) He said he enjoyed the training and has at least five pages of notes on each of the Uechi kata. I haven't seen him much yet for a full report but it sounds like he got something out of it.

By the way - been working my way through your book which arrived just over a week ago. You definitely put your heart and soul into your writing. And we definitely have different world views. But ain't that what makes life so interesting? :D Again - kudos to you for putting yourself out there!

cheers,
Dana
Mills75

Thank you!

Post by Mills75 »

Wow thank you so very much for purchasing the book Dana and you're so right about different views making the world interesting and what it's supposed to be. It's just some of my feelings on paper and I enjoy writing so I was happy I got the chance to do it.

It's an honor for me sincerely that you bought the book and again I can't thank you enough for that and for all the great advice and good things you add to the martial arts world also and I mean every word of that sincerely. I admire you very much as a person for all you do.

I don't believe the book is a masterpiece by far lol but I sure hope some folks will enjoy reading it anyhow lol. As I said just some of my feelings on paper and that's about all I can really say about it lol. Knowing you have the book is a wonderful feeling for me so thank you Dana.

That's great that the person from your dojo got to go and see the masters from the Okikukai and I was wondering if you made it up this time because I knew you attended many of the seminars with various masters so I was curious to see who went. I'm glad he had a good time and came back with notes on the trip for the dojo to look over and see how it went.

Well sincerely thank you so very much again and see ya soon! Best wishes as always.

Jeff
Jeff

Post by Guest »

I like your poetry Jeff .. alot. My Girlfriend likes it too. I think I know what my friends are getting for xmas this year!
Mills75

Man...

Post by Mills75 »

Ya know I'm not even kidding when I sit back and think and really absorb how lucky I am to know you people even in a small way from our links in martial arts but really what a gift and what a life it is when you can share time with some wonderful people with such pure hearts and souls like you guys and I mean that and always knew and felt that about this place. I'm a lucky person to have chosen this art and met you people that are so supportive and kind.

It really is humbling and I thank you sincerely Tony and Dana and all you guys for everything and for the support you always give to people who cross your path. I think if everyone studied Uechi as a mandatory thing we just might be able to solve all the worlds problems. We don't always agree on everything and we all have our own ways like everyone in life does but nobody can argue the value and heart of the people you find in this art from all corners of the planet.

Please thank your girlfriend for me also Tony and I'm sure she is a lovely woman and I'm glad she has a good guy like you in her life so cheers to you all and thanks big time!

Jeff :D
Jeff

Re: Man...

Post by Guest »

Mills75 wrote:Tony and I'm sure she is a lovely woman
aah... she's ok.... :P
Mills75

Post by Mills75 »

That's great what more in life could any guy ask for and I hope to find the very same thing my friend! God bless you both and watch over ya always and I wish you nothing but the best this world has to offer!

I hope the sun shines on you both always and when it rains out I hope the drops come down in Champagne so you can take out your glasses and toast to one another!

La Dolce Vita....... Like our friend Roberto Bennini named his movie and I liked that movie too. He seems like he knows how to live life with a smile and that's a beautiful thing.

We'll always find a way to make those lemons in life into sweet lemonade somehow ! Bless ya both!

Jeff
Jeff
Mills75

Post by Mills75 »

On a sidenote lol I just turned thirty years old yesterday so man I'm heading into a new path in my life and said goodbye to the twenties officially. I had Tim McGraws song called In my next thirty years stuck in my head all day hoping I get another thirty that is and it made me smile!

It's all about making the best of the next thirty if you ever heard the song and applying the lessons you learned from the first thirty lol. Should be interesting and I'm looking forward to it lol.

Drink a little lemonade and not so many beers lol maybe I'll remember my next thirty years lol now that is some poetry lol.

Jeff

Post by Guest »

Happy birthday Bro!
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

I didn't go to this seminar.

I've trained with them in the past and between the price of gas, it being just outside a day trip, and the high cost of the classes I bagged this one.

Sensei Walter Mattson is the one I would have most loved to have trained with. A very nice man and excellent martial artist.

P.S.
Turning 30 is the worst. 40 is a piece of cake.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

:bday: _____ :bday: _____ :bday:
:bday: _ :new-bday: _ :bday:
:bday: _____ :bday: _____ :bday:
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

Happy B day Jeff!

I hated turning 30 :roll: but ya know what? I feel just as good now as I did at 25.. just a little more sore in the mornings.

Jeff. You are lucky to have a dojo so connected with Okinawa. I am sure that you get quality instruction. When you are so far away from the mainstream Uechi world a good Sensie is hit or miss.
Mills75

Thanks...

Post by Mills75 »

Thanks guys for the birthday wishes and yeah heck 30 isn't so bad I guess lol.. :D

Thanks also Ben for the compliment on the dojo I really love the place and the people are really humble and take the time to show and share things with us. It's like a big family there and my teacher hasn't raised the tuition at the school in twenty years. They have no desire to profit from martial arts, only to teach.

We have no testing fee's or contracts or anything like that. It's just show up and work hard and put some sweat on the floor with the family so I love it. Going to learn from Doctor Rinchuse and the rest of the gang at Rinchuse Martial arts has really been the best decision I ever made so I'm thankful they welcomed me in.

Thanks again,
Jeff
Mills75

Post by Mills75 »

Hey Ben if I recall correctly when we spoke the one time didn't you say that you're teacher was a student of Jim Thompson or that you guys were connected to his organization so that is having great ties yourself and my compliments to your dojo and sensei also. And you were with Peter McRae for a time or worked some with him also isn't that right so that's some great teaching.

Thanks,
Jeff
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

I've only met James Thompson once and it was very breif. I then took my place toward the back of a seminar. :lol: And studying at Peters school was awesome.

But you do have a good memory my friend. My former teachers teacher is a student of Master Thompson.

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”