Breathing Aside From Jeff's Thread

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Post by Guest »

You know George Mattson doesn't beat up on people like that...
Mills75

Post by Mills75 »

I hope John see's the thread and tells the story I really couldn't say what training with him is like but I'm sure it was something that happened when John was there of a freakish variety. He doesn't sound like he would try to hurt anyone so I hope John adds to the thread with the real account because I wasn't there for that one so I really can't comment on his regiment.

Jeff
Jeff
Mills75

Post by Mills75 »

Here is the story as John relayed it in that other thread that I located so here is John Giacoletti's story and words of Shinjo about the time I mentioned above.

And in a different sitituation, I have seen Kiohide Sensei unintentionally injure a student while demonstrating a snap side kick to the back of the student's knee. I do believe in miracles, and Shinjo Sensei was the Master of the situation. Gently, he stabalized the young man on the dojo floor. Kneeling beside him, he spoke with the student and identified the source of the young man's pain. He moved to the foot of the man, and with both hands strightened the the student's pained leg. He cupped his own hands and rubbed them together for several seconds and then placed them on the man's knee and massaged, and repeated this several times as we all looked on. Should we call a doctor? No... no.... the student said he would be ok. And in a few more minutes he was up and able to walk unassisted. Oh, what a relief. I am not sure who here was victor. Surely both won and were humbled by the lesson.

Shodan ... nanadan ... whatever ... it's the spirit of rejuvination that's at the heart of karate.

Post by Dana Sheets »

Great discussion and good thoughts.

Tony - on my forum at least - cut back on typing around the profanity censor. You make your points well and clearly before you use it so it really doesn't add anything to your position.

You can also use your breathing to help you focus your intent. Visualization really helps the body optimize for a certain goal. In that tradition some people association different sounds in their heads when they're hitting different parts of the body - again - it focuses intent. But you gotta be careful that it doesn't slow you down.
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Jeff,

No question that most of the Okinawans seniors practice not exhaling with the strike. But even on Okinawa there are exceptions.

Tomoyose sensei, at camp, said that some of them are exhaling with a power strike.

Toyama sensei teaches such exhale, as one example. There are others.

I think a good teacher should allow students the freedom of breathing anyway he feels comfortable under stress, since it is a very personal choice.

Also a teacher should be able to explain succinctly the reasons/advantages for different methods.

Dana indicated that the usual explanation is that if you exhale with the strike you loose your ‘chi’_robbing the strike of its power.

Many students don’t buy that because world-class athletes and coaches know that maximum performance universally recognizes exhaling with the effort.

So a teacher should leave the student alone, and certainly not ostracize him as in Tony’s case.

Shinjio sensei witnessed the powerful and precise kata of my student Vinny Christiano who exhales crisply with the strike/effort.

He said that with that kind of performance, Vinny could breathe anyway he wanted.

This is the mark of the great sensei.
Van
Mills75

Post by Mills75 »

how about crossing feet when moving in a direction or turning? We never cross our feet and if we're turning 360 degree's we use the sanchin turn making sure it's not a spin but a controlled and balanced turn.

If we move or sidestep to the left the left foot leads that movement to the side and we never cross feet while sidestepping or moving in any direction. If I'm side stepping to the right my right foot leads that movement.

I noticed some cross feet and why does this happen out of curiousity?

Jeff
Jeff

Post by Guest »

Dana Sheets wrote:Tony - on my forum at least - cut back on typing around the profanity censor. You make your points well and clearly before you use it so it really doesn't add anything to your position.

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”