Breathing Aside From Jeff's Thread

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Its just a problem with me when someone targets a specific method, when it isn't the method that is at fault.... Its the way (any method) is taught and how the student understands and practices what was taught.
Very true George. And as you remember in a previous thread with Scott Sonnon, you posted that the objective of your method of teaching breathing, was with the goal of getting the student to breathe out/exhale with effort/strike/movement.

Now when you say 'Van's breathing' _ it does cause some questions.

Also, if Tony would breathe out with the strike and say to his detractors that this the goal as you teach it, what would the response of those people be?

Tony,

A question: How does your boxing trainer teach breathing to his boxers?

And would he object to your using Uechi breathing [not exhaling until after impact ?]

Just curious.
Van
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Okey Dokey. So we're clear that nobody trying to insult how anybody else is breathing, ya? Good.

As long as everyone keeps breathing to some extent we'll all be able to keep training. :mrgreen:

It comes down to the letter of the law vs the spirit of the law.
Don't breathe on a strike or maybe - don't whoosh out all your remaining air when you think it is the knockout strike because you're going to need something left in case you miss. And maybe - "keep some of your air" meant "don't let your belly collapse and become soft." You can do a whole lot of breathing and still have a protective belly. These ideas weren't for becoming an OK fighter - they were about becoming a superior fighting. So, as a superior fighter, if you can control your emotions and breathing a little bit and not give over to the dump vs your opponent has given over to the dump completely - you may have an advantage -

But in the end if your breathing is keeping you from fighting well or training well maybe it is time to but breathing off to the side for a bit and then come back to it. Stop thinking about it so hard, see what your body does when you don't force it, and then go from there.

And, giving another nod to adrenal stress, it is more difficult to hyperventilate when you're breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth because of the reduced volume. (At least that's my understanding...)

Post by Guest »

Van Canna wrote:Tony,

And would he object to your using Uechi breathing [not exhaling until after impact ?]

Just curious.
Van, I have seen them (there are several trainers there, all ex-fighters) talk about breathing to other boxers but not to me. Appearently my breathing is fine just the way it is. :D

Post by Guest »

Dana Sheets wrote: But in the end if your breathing is keeping you from fighting well or training well maybe it is time to but breathing off to the side for a bit and then come back to it. Stop thinking about it so hard, see what your body does when you don't force it, and then go from there.
Dana, I don't think about it. I just let my body have what it needs when training.. air and water and lots of it.
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Great post, Dana.

The problem I have always had on these forums is that most of the dissenters, totally eschew the adrenal stress challenge, in both the presupposed ‘efficacy’ of their techniques and their breathing beliefs.

You have learned much through the adrenal scenarios. Others ridicule such an undertaking.

And initially, when I began posting the work of Peyton Quinn, most people were fascinated by it. As time eroded their memory and challenged their perceived status_ his concepts became ‘enemy fire’

But I can repost them.
:wink:
Last edited by Van Canna on Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Van
TheGreatWhiteBuffalo

Post by TheGreatWhiteBuffalo »

unzipping his zipper, lol

Maybe Uechi breathing was put in place to keep your mind focused during a fight. Instead of losing your composure.
Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
gmattson
Site Admin

Van..

Post by gmattson »

That is "my" way of breathing and "my" way of teaching breathing, based on "my" many years dealing with people who freeze up when under stress or hold their breath when "not" performing a punch or kick. (when under stress)

My quote:
the objective of your method of teaching breathing, was with the goal of getting the student to breathe out/exhale with effort/strike/movement.
I find myself breathing out during hard exertion, but the object is not fully exhaling, but releasing breath as needed. (What is needed is something that I can't explain, but performing the level of punches and kicks I perform, I don't feel the need to exhale with every thrust or kick and seldom do I need to fully exhale as I was encouraged to do in your TC classes. I tried it for a couple months, but it just didn't feel natural, "for me".

I don't preach Uechi breathing on these forums. But every time you make a statement condemning "Uechi breathing", I can't just look the other way.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Ø Van, I have seen them (there are several trainers there, all ex-fighters) talk about breathing to other boxers but not to me. Apparently my breathing is fine just the way it is. <

Okay_ but what if you decided to change it to the ‘Uechi standard’ not breathing out with the punch and hissing after it? Would they object?

Ø Maybe Uechi breathing was put in place to keep your mind focused during a fight. Instead of losing your composure. <

Interesting. How does not exhaling with a strike keep your composure?
Van
gmattson
Site Admin

Van

Post by gmattson »

I must be reading a different group of forums. I just can't figure out who these dissenters, ridiculer's, memory deprived people are. Have I deleted them all?
The problem I have always had on these forums is that most of the dissenters, totally eschew the adrenal stress challenge, in both the presupposed ‘efficacy’ of their techniques and their breathing beliefs.

You have learned much through the adrenal scenarios. Others ridicule such an undertaking. (emphasis mine)

And initially, when I began posting the work of Peyton Quinn, most people were fascinated by it. As time eroded their memory and challenged their perceived status_ his concepts became ‘enemy fire’
But I can repost them.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

seldom do I need to fully exhale as I was encouraged to do in your TC classes. I tried it for a couple months, but it just didn't feel natural, "for me".
No George, I never taught full exhale, I taught ‘sharp exhale’ your memory of it has faded.

Ask Vinny and other students of mine how I teach breathing. And BTW_ I only suggest that type of breathing, I leave it up to the students whether to implement or not.
I find myself breathing out during hard exertion, but the object is not fully exhaling, but releasing breath as needed.
And that is just fine. The very nature of TC work is to release every strike, perform every block at full exertion, full power_ so there is your ‘hard exertion’ where we release a sharp but short exhale to focus body and mind through the target.

People will see a fantastic example of this next camp when Vinny steps on the floor for his 7th Dan test.

And I still practice ‘Uechi breathing’ when performing a low-key kata.
Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

George,

No you are reading the right forum. Search your memory.

And BTW, this is once again degenerating into Van v George_

Van v us. Let's give it a break.
Van
Dana Sheets

I split the threads.

Post by Dana Sheets »

Hmmm.

I do what I rarely do and split this aside from the original thread since it developed into its own animal.

Please continue breathing here as you wish. And comment on Jeff's quesitions back on the other thread.

Thanks,
Dana

Post by Guest »

Van Canna wrote:Okay_ but what if you decided to change it to the ‘Uechi standard’ not breathing out with the punch and hissing after it? Would they object?
I'm sure one of them would express concern Van, they are all about athletic performance and nothing about imitating Iron Mike or Muhammad Ali (unlike karate people who imitate their favorite okinawans, some will even wear mascara to make their eyes look "squinty", hah hah and wear chopsticks in their blonde hair, hah hah).

and if I where to say "Well, thats how we do it in Uechi Ryu Karate Do", they would shrug their shoulders and say "ok" and still be there to help me off the ropes the next time I got my lights punched out.

It's because they are great guys... you know... :D
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

:wink:

BTW_ in your excellent seisan performance, posted on the web_ how did you breathe?

Many people, including Jim Hawkins_ think that was the best seisan they had ever seen anywhere.

Be happy :D
Van

I'm going to change my handle to "The Breathe Dago"

Post by Guest »

In that clip, I am breathing the same way I have been for years, in fact, it's the same way I breathed at GEM's house this past weekend. George, did I look out-of-breath after I did my katas?

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”