Strip Fit, LA Moves, Strip Aerobics, etc.

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

John Giacoletti wrote:Yikes. Maybe I spoke myself into a trap :oops: :oops: :oops: I was thinking only of women :D
Why only good for women? Why call out a a double standard for men to want their wives to participate in this and not their daughters but then indicate that it would be good for women Uechi-ka but not good for men?

Goose and gander and all that.

Joe Consumer

Post by Guest »

Well, Dana. You are absolutely right and it's the trap I felt myself being sucked into :o
Why only good for women?
It's marketing. The DVDs are marketed to a women audience. This is a Women's Forum.

There are male strippers and many of them are well-built athletes with exceptional physiques. Are they karate students? I don't know. Realistically, in the marketplace, I don't see many male Uechi students wanting to learn to strip even if the DVD would aid them.

The purpose of the post was to inform the general forum audience that the strip fit programs are nationwide and many women are finding them beneficial, both from the physical standpoint and also from a psychological point of view in that in stripping they came to a greater self-awareness of their sexuality.

Lots of women exercise with DVDs. These strip programs might be just the right gift for the curious just to see what happens or for a change of pace.

I'm just suggesting something like this may be useful to those women who would get a workout and/or a kick out of this if it turned their man on.

A little Seisan Bonkae and a hot tub ... not bad, if you ask me :wink:

Post by Guest »

I agree with Dana, which is why I went out and bought the DVD. I had my first strip tease workout tonight and I taped it. I'll be posting the video just as soon as I get it ripped off the camera...

:twisted:
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

For years I have promoted music as a great form of cross training in martial arts. Here I am talking the full gamut from playing an instrument to dancing. I learned some of my best aikido by doing swing dancing, and developed my sense of rhythm, timing, speed, illusion of speed, and creativity on foot via playing various instruments. And of course there are the allusions here to developing whole-body coordination via unconventional dancing methods.

Well wouldn't you know... Years after the giggles in class and the homophobic comments, I find this in Wikipedia.org.
In 1958, (Bruce) Lee was the Cha Cha Champion of Hong Kong. He worked part time as a Cha Cha instructor for a short time when he returned to San Francisco in April 1959.

Go figure... 8)

- Bill
chef

I never knew....

Post by chef »

Bill, can we incorporate Swing Dancing in our karate class.....show me, show me, show me. I want to learn. What a great crossing training idea. Just incorporate throw applications along with it.

Did you guys/gals ever see that scene of Jamie Lee Curtis doing an improvised dance against the bed post for unknown husband Arnold Schwartzenegger (sp?) in the movie True Lies? So, so funny, especially when she loses the bed rail when seductively dancing.....kind of like how we screw up a kata when performing (I meant to do that).

Great movie!

Vicki
Last edited by chef on Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I did that in my frat party days, Vicki. Dancing was something we all did in my family, and having six sisters meant I had no problem finding someone to learn from. Plus... It was a great way to engage in "mating rituals." Check out the legs on that female dancer above, and you can see why I'd prefer these venues over smokey bars.

I can probably still do some of the patterns, but it sounds like Bruce has me beat. I guess Bruce Lee's graceful movement came from more than just imitating another "pretty" athlete (Muhammed Ali).

- Bill
chef

Post by chef »

OK, then teach us some moves....what fun that would be. It could only make us more versatile (and a lot more fun at parties).

Vic
:wink:
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

I did dance lessons with my wife,

Everyone was stunned when we did a fox trot to "The way You look tonight" at our wedding :D

Karate training made it easy for me as I have gotten used to learning sequence.

Funny thing though........ kept going into sanchin at first during lessons:oops:

BTW there was no makiwara there. :mrgreen:
Ruiner

Dancing Kata

Post by Ruiner »

One night at a dance club my girlfriend and I danced with kata all night, was quite fun.

Good thing nobody got in my way ;)
The Dragon likes to twist, wind, and coil. No rules apply; an attack will occur when you least expect it.
Valkenar

Post by Valkenar »

I've studied various forms of dance (jazz, ballet, tap, modern) and I am quite pleased with the extent to which it builds kinesthetic awareness, balance and strength that applies to karate, basketball and other such physical endeavors. I've taken a couple partner classes with girlfriends, but I've never gotten those skills to a point where I've learned generalizable movement concepts. I briefly considered trying to become a stripper (because of the high pay combined with few hours) but ultimately decided not to.

If it's for helping women become comfortable with their sexuality that seems fine, if it really works. To some extent it does strike me as a bit of silliness, I don't think most women who are already into fitness would particularly be interested in adding stripping to it. I also somewhat suspect that women who have self-image concerns due to being out of shape aren't likely to jump right into stripping naked. So I'm not really sure who these tapes are for.

Dana, you asked why assume it's for women, and I guess I just wasn't sure if these kinds of tapes exist for men. I would guess that few straight men (in the US anyway) would be comfortable watching a tape featuring a man stripping, even if they thought they would be interested in strip aerobics to begin with. That said, I'm all in favor of men being less insecure about their sexuality also, though it's obviously a different kind of insecurity from that which women typically face.

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”