Beauty is thy name

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Sweet mate , and you could set me up a seminar in banff for once were warrior ryu ? :shocked!:

Post by Guest »

Sweet! I can see it now!Image

Once we were warriors....well I've already started planning that seminar, been laying down a good supply of Innis & Gunn. :wink:
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Mate and Ive got the instructor certification programm all worked out ...

They can fly out here and survive an evening at one of the locals

we call it the flying jug :lol: 8) :twisted:
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

:shocked!:

alchohol and karate , all we needs a food pic from Tony and this thread will have everything ... :?

Post by Guest »

One food pic, coming up!

This one seems appropriate

Bruise* Lee

Post by Bruise* Lee »

Dana Sheets wrote:Mountains and mole hills.

This is a non-issue for so many and still a big issue for some.

A basic question:
Can beauty in a woman (not a girl) be admired without a sexual connotation or does beauty=sex?
If a woman notices beauty in another woman is she a lesbian?
Bruise* Lee

Re: Beauty is thy name

Post by Bruise* Lee »

Bill Glasheen wrote:To me, one of the most beautiful creations of nature is both the static physique and the physical movement of a natural, world class athlete. Forget the peroxide and the silicone and the nose jobs and the props. What nature selects for in the Darwinian world of competition is - in my view - beauty personified. When nature does her thing, I can't help but gawk like an admiring kid.

I'll let these photos of the female Karate-ka speak for themselves.

{picture here of any of the female karate-ka present}

- Bill
I am asking this as a serious question : if we had posted a picture of any of the women here instead of Wie, would anyone have been upset? Is it truly her age or is it...pardon the bluntness "catiness" that causes the ill-feelings. I know I sometimes get bothered by the admiration heaped on hunky men because...well it ain't me. [/img]
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

It is what it is, and we don't need to overanalyze. There are both good and bad reasons to be emotionally hijacked here, and I am in no position to judge any one individual or presume why they hold their beliefs. This can get really complicated very fast, and we don't always want to go there.

A great Golden Rule is first to respect others' feelings.

You do however bring up excellent hypothetical points. This brings up many interesting facets of human nature.

- Bill
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Bruise* Lee wrote: If a woman notices beauty in another woman is she a lesbian?
Is anyone homosexual who admires the aethestic qualities of another person?

Nah. Beauty is very different in different cultures. In some (Tonga) women are admired for their largess, in other cultures women are admired for having a gap in between their front teeth, still others are admired for scarification and other body modifications. Beauty is not just a western-defined ideal. Complexe issue for sure and there's no absolute answers - humans are too varied and too plastic.

-Dana
Valkenar

Post by Valkenar »

I've taken these quotes out of order and context, so appologies if I've mangled your original intent.

Dana Said:
Can beauty in a woman (not a girl) be admired without a sexual connotation or does beauty=sex?
It depends what you mean. Is it possible for sexual attractiveness to go completely unnoticed? I'd say probably not, at least in circumstances where the possibility of attraction exists. Is it possible for a sexual impression and a platonic impression to coexist? I'd say probably, though it's less instinctive and is a more conscious process. I don't know what all the evolutionary "purposes" (so to speak) for aesthetics are, but I think that the connection between beauty and sex is strong enough that separating them completely isn't really possible.
There's all this baggage around women being sexual objects...but how do you admire someone, anyone, without objectifying them a little bit?
Well, I think in a certain sense, a personal will always be objectified in a number of domains based on their traits. For example, based on an impression of another personals martial skill, you might have a sense that it would be nice to train with them. Objectification in this sense is probably unavoidable, because it amounts to little more than the impression itself, it's just the logical result of percieving someone as suitable for a purpose.

Objectification in the exclusionary sense (I.E. the sense of *only* being willing to think of someone in terms of their use for a certain purpose), is another matter. I tend to believe that anybody who wants to, can avoid objectifying people in this way, and that for people who do objectify women this way it's due to their own personal beliefs about what what sort of roles men and women need to follow. A mindset that holds women as humans who happen to be sexually desirable (rather than as sexual opportunities who happen to have personalities) will tend to be one that doesn't result in objectification.

Unfortunately, there are still a lot of men who think it is their right, nay duty as men to ogle, whistle and generally make asses of themselves.
Certainly not. Women are generally free to acknowledge other weapon's beauty, but men do it all the time too, though they may not openly admit it or think of it that way.
How can we do that better in the future without having to post 1,000 caveats to every post?
I don't really think there's a way. As far as I can tell, that's just how the internet works.
Bruise* Lee

Post by Bruise* Lee »

Dana Sheets wrote:
Bruise* Lee wrote: If a woman notices beauty in another woman is she a lesbian?

Nah. Beauty is very different in different cultures. In some (Tonga) women are admired for their largess, in other cultures women are admired for having a gap in between their front teeth, still others are admired for scarification and other body modifications. Beauty is not just a western-defined ideal. Complexe issue for sure and there's no absolute answers - humans are too varied and too plastic.

-Dana
This answers your own question then of : "Can beauty in a woman (not a girl) be admired without a sexual connotation or does beauty=sex? ".

And obviously the answer is yes, beauty in a woman can be admired without sexual connotation. A gay man can admire the beauty of a woman, without feeling sexual towards them. Likewise men can admire Wie without any sexual feelings.
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

How about is a guy a pervert for finding someone under 18 sexually attractive ? , or only if he acts on it ?

or points it out ? , or admits it when asked

or .... this kinds thing just gets crazy huh

Beauty = Sex

Post by Guest »

A basic question:

The photo of Ms. Wie's golf swing in my estimation was athletic, aesthetically powerful and symmetrical but not sexual or beautiful.

She appears to have a strong body but lacks what I would call "cut" muscular defintion that I've seen on many trimmer young women who play tennis or swim.

I find her on the smooth and chunky side actually. She's not beautiful or sexually attractive to me.

I find women fit and fifty much more desirable sexually than young girls, and I don't see these sexually attractive women as objects. I really object to the inappropriate use of that term . I see my sexual interest in women as a prospective partnership and mutually satisfying experience. Sex toys are objects. Sexually active and appreciative women who respond reciprocally to my interests ... now that's beautiful.

Beauty is sex and sex is beauty to paraphrase John Keats. I think he said "Beauty is truth, and truth is beauty." Sexually, when the bell tolls, it tolls for we. :lol: And I don't mean with Michelle. :)

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”