Are men scared of a strong woman?

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Valkenar

Post by Valkenar »

Akil Todd Harvey wrote: My logic is not linear, and i guess my arguments will not be welcome here unless they are.....You have your approach to logic and mine is bad if it doesnt match yours?????
Logic isn't something that has approaches (well it does, but not in the sense I think you're using it). Logic is a process, and if you don't follow the process it isn't logic. Saying "my logic isn't linear" is like saying "my says 2+2=5" and expecting people to just accept it. Sure, you can devise a system of mathematics in which 2+2=5, but you can't expect other people to immediately understand your system when the rest of the world has pretty much agreed on another one.

That said I partially agree with some of your posts, but I have to agree with Dana about the way you go about it. Also, I personally skip most any post that is a both long and poorly formatted, just because it's too much work to read. If you post on a forum the same way you'd write a paper in school it will tend to be received much better. Of course, this is only true when you're making dozens of points about some serious issue.
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

The sad part (for me) is that there are so many misconceptions of the opposite sex (and you can read "opposite" whichever way it suits)!
Hell I cant work out anyone , I think were all nuts men , women whoever ....

Yeah women drive men crazy .. and men drive women crazy , but it`s all worth it when we get it right !!

to villify either for being there gender is ridiculous , you might as well blame a cat for chasing a mouse ....

If you dont want to deal with the gender differences dont , become a monk or switch teams , but nature and reality are a given , and you just have to look harder if your after an exception .... Never settle !!!
Mary Chant

Post by Mary Chant »

I appreciate the thought that most have given when responding to this issue. It does seem like it's one of those topics that can easily incite some. I wonder if some took raising the question itself as some sort of attack on men. I know it wasn't intended as one, but gender relations are such a sensitive topic that it's difficult not color these discussions with personal experiences, often bad ones. I know my frame of reference informs what I offer to a great degree, perhaps unreasonably so at times. I have to be careful not to universalize my personal experiences to larger issues.

I do have one request, however. While most did not do so, the word feminism was at times used as if it were a pujorative term. The definitions of feminism are as follows:

[1. belief in women's rights: belief in the need to secure rights and opportunities for women equal to those of men, or a commitment to securing these

2. movement for women's rights: the movement committed to securing and defending rights and opportunities for women that are equal to those of men

Nowhere in this definition are hostile, irrational, self-serving, etc. Now to be fair, hostile, irrational and self-serving are what I perceived as being implied by the use of the term feminist in a few of the cases (again NOT all), given the context of the surrounding language.

I would just ask for a little caution when using the terms feminist and feminism. If you are attempting to describe a behavior that is irrational, unfair, self-serving, hostile, etc., that really does not have anything to do with the definitions above. I am not claiming that some people who proclaim to be feminists never exhibit any of those behaviors, just that those behaviors are not a part of feminism. The problem I see with not being careful with the usage is that it ends up lumping a very large group of people who probably support the above definitions in with a comparatively small number of people who for whatever reason, aren't behaving well.

Thank you.

Mary
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

You mean female chauvinists? :P

By the way what is the male equivilent of feminism?
I was dreaming of the past...
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Humanisim Mike ;)

wish the ladies would get on board with that one ..... 8)

sorry gals , I am joking :lol:
chef

Post by chef »

Hmmm.....how about the Greek men?

Just joshing you guys. My Dad is a wonderful man, but (at times) could lay on the 'macho' man stuff pretty heavily. It tends to be a trait I see in Greek men. I recently told a good, Greek male friend of mine that I would never marry a Greek man because if the overbearing behaviour I often see in them, having lived with one......and I am Greek.

Certain cultures seem to display certain behaviours, like that in Greek men.

Just a thought.

Vicki
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Interesting Vicki :D 8)

I saw Mikes question as an equivalent to find a positive male philosophy for equality .

And you got it right !! :lol: :lol:

I would of thought Greek men would of been to happy to be that way ;) , good food and other benifits ...

oops , have I just labelled myself a chauvinistic pig !!! :? :( :lol:
Humanism features an optimistic attitude about the capacity of people, but it does not involve believing that human nature is purely good or that each and every person is capable of living up to the humanist ideals of rationality and morality. If anything, there is the recognition that living up to our potential is hard work and requires the help of others. The ultimate goal is human flourishing; making life better for all of us. Even among humanists who do believe in some sort of an afterlife, the focus is on doing good and living well in the here and now, and leaving the world better for those who come after us, not on suffering through life to be rewarded afterwards.
Mary Chant

Post by Mary Chant »

I'm sorry, but there is no room for humor on these forums. :lol:

Point taken, however. What is understood to be the first wave of modern feminism began in the mid 18th century (well before the term, which was coined in France in the mid 19th century--féminisme), in part sparked by the French and American revolutions. The earliest form of feminism was concerned with equal rights for women and men. Since it was a movement so that women's rights could "catch up" to men's, my speculation is that that was why a gender specific (female) term was used.

Using the term humanism as I think you mean it would be wonderful. It does kind of have its own set of baggage, however, as illustrated by a couple of the definitions below.

hu·man·ism noun

Definitions:

1. belief in human-based morality: a system of thought that is based on the values, characteristics, and behavior that are believed to be best in human beings, rather than on any supernatural authority

2. concern for people: a concern with the needs, well-being, and interests of people

3. Renaissance cultural movement: the secular cultural and intellectual movement of the Renaissance that spread throughout Europe as a result of the rediscovery of the arts and philosophy of the ancient Greeks and Romans

So once again we are confounded by an imprecise method, language, to communicate.

And to think, you were just probably trying to lighten things up a little. That'll teach ya. :D

Mary
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

careful Mary closet philosopher ;) , but i do like women :lol: :shocked!:

Humanisim has many deffinitions , But I feel the term has no more baggage than feminisim .

It`s once again the motives and the thoughts that are important and not the labels , kind of like martial arts styles really .

people and there boxes .... :roll:
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

as a result of the rediscovery of the arts and philosophy of the ancient Greeks and Romans
Man you guys are hard on the Greeks today .... forget Sexisim , lets work on the Racisim :lol:

women :roll: :wink:
Jesse Taub

Post by Jesse Taub »

Personally I can only date strong women, otherwise I get terribly bored. If I'm spending time with someone who never disagrees with me, I might as well be talking to myself; the result would be the same.
Listen to: "Red Clay," Freddie Hubbard
2Green

Post by 2Green »

"You mean female chauvinists? Razz

By the way what is the male equivilent of feminism?"
----------------------------------------------------------

I think it's "misogony".Perhaps too strong a word, but it means "hatred of women, especially by a man". (Webster's).
The word "hatred" kind of scared me about the definition, but obviously there are degrees of misogony, just as there are degrees of "feminism" ranging from supportive(of women) to downright militant (against men.)

I guess "misogony" would be the male equivalant of "militant feminism", the extreme form-- those who have a "hatred" or degrees thereof.

Anyway, check it out and see what you think.

NM
The music spoke to me. I felt compelled to answer.
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Some very good ideas.

And Mary - thanks for the correction on feminism. It is a term with lots of baggage these days. I'm sure I misused the term several times and I'll try to be more conscious of that when I post.

And remember folks - one of the main points of this thread has been that we should try to not make generalizations about men or women...instead we should try to try to make our decisions based on the individual. No matter their gender, their race, their income, their ethnicity, or their anything else.

And we're all a little crazy from time to time. :D
Did you show compassion today?
mjanson

In God We Trust

Post by mjanson »

My, my, my...... most interesting here !!! Apparently there is alot to be said on this thread. I read as many as I could and just had to post this reply. As a single woman, I know that I can't "do it all". That's why....In God We Trust...........all others pay cash !!! At least that's what I do when I need my roof repaired, or my trees trimmed.

It would be grand if we can all have some of the wonderful relationships defended in here. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work that way for all of us. And, hmmmm....some of the comments I've seen in here confirms my comfort in being single. One doesn't neccessarily need to be married to be happy. Money isn't everything either...but it sure makes it easier. I love my life !!! I have strong faith, great family and friends and a very successful career. To have a great "partner" would be awesome but I don't "need" anyone, and won't settle for just anyone for the sake of having one. I know alot of people who do that. I do believe in compromise, but not in sacrifice. And when you lose someone whether in death or divorce, you come to realize that we are all truly alone in the physical world. It's all between you and your maker.
-Metablade-

Post by -Metablade- »

Very true.
In all things,
We are alone inside of ourselves.
With respect to experience and the centrality of a conceived "I";
We were born alone,
and we will die alone.
There's a bit of Metablade in all of us.

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”