between the wrist and the elbow

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Dana Sheets

between the wrist and the elbow

Post by Dana Sheets »

Between the wrist and the elbow lies one of the strongest weapons in Uechi-Ryu IMNSHO. The forearm.

We rub it in arm rubbing, we bash it in arm pounding, we bridge with it, we strike with it, we drill with it, rub with it, stick with it, etc.

All too often I see so many folks so focused on hitting with their hands that they miss some mighty fine opportunities to hit with the forearms instead.

Just last night I was teaching a takedown off the turn after the elbow strike in kanshiwa. rubbing into the side of the neck while breaking their stance with your knee and using the power of the sanchin turn to dump their center of balance into what Rick calls a void (a place where they have no leg to stand on.)

Over and over I watched the greenbelts grab for the shoulder and pull instead of using the forearm to drill into the neck. Drilling into the neck made the technique oh so much more easily applied. So it seems I have some work to do in helping our kyu students build their awareness of the forearm as an attacking weapon and not just a receiving weapon.

It is another reason I love Seichin - the forearm is used over and over again with the body shifts to gain advantage. And using the forearm I don't have to worry about my weaker wrists giving out. Once conditioned I am only limited by the bone and not by tendons and muscles.
Did you show compassion today?
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Agreed Dana , my favourite too , good for control and power :D 8)
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Cool clip Ben ...

but isnt french Aikido taking it to the extreme :roll: :? :twisted:
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

That's a good move Dana. I learned to drive the elbow into the side of the neck to get KO and the takedown. Even a light hit in practice will make the legs wobble and the takedown easy.
I was dreaming of the past...
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Ben that was the late Saito doing that Tenchin nage :lol: ..it doesn't work if you bite the arm as it closes on your face :multi:
but you can also use the back of the arm ( Kokyu nage) this looks a lot like a bitch slap but done withe arm and not the back of the hand, when you do it as a throw you do it slow.but on the street you just hit like your arm is a baseball bat :wink:

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”