Peaceful Warrior part III

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Your politics are showing again, jorvik... :oops:

Dana

It's OK to dream. Without that hope, we don't have the motivation we need to achieve. While I comprehend the ugly reality, I'd a lot rather hang with the dreamers and optimists. Our culture loves the underdog. It's what makes life seem possible for the majority struggling to make ends meet on a daily basis. 8)

As a researcher, I live and die by my dreams and my imagination. I wouldn't be doing what I do if I wasn't a risk-taking romantic at heart. It's just a super geek version of the same thing.

- Bill
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

heres one from Funakoshi !!

wether you think you can or you cant ..... you`ll always be right !
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

The last few years I have been sub teaching in the county schools, mostly for USMC JROTC. The schools with these programs tend not to be the ones where kids drive BMWs and wear Izods or whatever. A lot of the kids in the programs are 'at risk' and need a solid male role model. That is why the guidance counselors recommend JROTC. The minority content is high and at one school is about 85%.

My general observation is that these kids really want to perform for their instructors. There is a weeding out period early in the year that eliminates the incorrigibles so by October the classes are made up of students who want the extra discipline. I have no doubt that some of these students would have no direction otherwise.

The kids can be annoying - after all they are teenagers - but they show tremendous respect for the program and the instructors. They rarely challenge an adult and if so will immediately stand down if told to do so.

I truly believe the 'martial way' is redirecting potential ne'er do wells to a better life.

The JROTC program is allowed to weed out the slackers, trouble makers etc to protect the integrity of the programs. However, at one of the county schools the guidance counselors do not think they should be allowed to since all the other departments have to keep whatever problem students they have. It isn't fair!

Side note to Bill regarding PT: I had three very large classes today and two of them had a lot of females. Just for grins I asked the ladies to do pullups instead of the flex arm hang and many of them could do a few. They are not tested for pullups in the JROTC program so we do not keep records but the young ladies are capable of doing them.

Rich
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

You go, girls!!! 8)
Jackie Olsen

Philosophy

Post by Jackie Olsen »

IMHO the book is about the ‘art of war’ which eventually leads to the path of peace. "In an instant a life may turn around; a heart may open in a moment of grace. But preparing for that moment can take a lifetime …”

I believe that this sums up the book's theme. I agree with you Dana... it is a good read about exploring deeper meanings and philsophies in life.
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

I'm glad you enjoyed the messages in the book.

I think we can't fully let go of violence until we fully embrace it. Those who peek at violence behind their hand or out of the corner of their eye make a false barrier between what they want life to be and what it is.

Violence embraced is not violence obsessed. It is simply giving violence (anger, jealousy, regret, whatever) it's due...and then moving on.
Did you show compassion today?

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”