Sniping

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

You guys. You're just great. And thank you both for your compliments and encouragement. Group Hug!

The taste of Hoegaarden is enhanced iwth a twist of lemon - especially nice in the summer when you're sitting outside and watching the world go by.

And Neil you're absolutely right. Character is who we are when nobody is watching. And it is difficult. There is a culture of lying that is woven into society. White lies to make things go easier and help people get along.

I know many Europeans hate the standard American greeting of "How do you do?" because folks aren't actually asking you how you are - they don't really want to hear an answer, they want you to follow the script of the greeting and say back "fine thanks, and yourself?" To which the first person will always say they're doing well or as well as can be expected.

And it is still like it was in elementary school. For the most part when we or someone else says something negative about someone else's character it is because we are struggling with our own. What good does it really do to dress down someone else's character when they're not there to hear it?

Nothing. It does not a damn bit of good. In fact it does the opposite of good. It damages the relationship you have with that person, with the people who know that person, and it damages the relationship you have with yourself. Every time we pump ourselves up at the expense of someone else's character we make a cut into our own self-esteem.

Best to do things face to face and keep it in the clear. Obviously we're not all going to do it all the time. I've made my share of unfortunate comments and they're the ones that bother me the most. And I'm trying to do better.
Did you show compassion today?
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

"I know many Europeans hate the standard American greeting of "How do you do?" because folks aren't actually asking you how you are - they don't really want to hear an answer, they want you to follow the script of the greeting and say back "fine thanks, and yourself?" To which the first person will always say they're doing well or as well as can be expected."

Well I'm not european..................not yet anyway :evil: .but English hate "Have a nice day"..it sounds so ingenuos especially when you have just paid for your burger and fries :lol:

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”