Dana, were your ears ringing?????

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

Raffi Derderian

Dana, were your ears ringing?????

Post by Raffi Derderian »

Hi Dana,
Couldn't resist posting this. (I seldom come here anymore so I want to get my posting all in until next time)
Your name came up a couple of times this past weekend while we were in Richmond. I am so impressed with the amount of sheer respect you have attained. What I like most is you have earned it not only through your skill but also for the fine quality of person you are.
I seldom come across someone that gets across the board praise and admiration from everyone (believe me- I DON'T have that) so I just wanted to drop you a quick post for the world to see.
Nice job!
No excuses next time I am down that way! You are coming to my class.
Raf
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Well if they're weren't ringing they're burning now. :) Thanks Raffi, I'm speechless and honored.

There's lots of good folks down in Richmond and it was a shame to miss out.
This month has seen way too many things that weren't directly related to work fall by the wayside. Next year my office will not be moving and I will not be double booked with clients. So I will be there with bells on.

Perhaps I can even get my act together and hold you over for an extended booking in DC.
Did you show compassion today?
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I can't fault either of your reputations here. You each are more than special in your own ways. Sooo... No comparisons, Raffi!

Dana is Dana, and dazzles us with what most folks here know - the Uechi. And her special niches - the classic execution of sequential summation of movement and her love of the HAPV stuff - have been discussed a lot these days and integrated into a few dojos around the Uechi world.

But I'm not sure that lots of folks have the space left in their martial brains to deal with what you throw at them, Raffi. What you have IMO is stuff Uechi folks should be looking at from a principles standpoint, but either haven't or don't get it yet. It's not just the knives and the sticks, and the funny Filipino clothes. Those are just the means to an end. The extra "stuff" shouldn't deter people from considering FMA part of what they do. It's the flow and the footwork and the efficient, continuous movement. That overlaps with the mochi (Okinawan stretchy rice cake) which Gushi and Shinjo are talking about, but few folks are able to inject in their Sanseiryu. If they only knew how much fun you and Susan make all this, we'd be getting in their heads via the back door faster than they could say Inosanto. ;)

Next spring, Dana? 8)

- Bill
chef

Post by chef »

Dana, as Raffi said, you are a delight as a person and a wonder in the Uechi world as well. Whenever you are talked about, it is always 'good stuff'.

We love you and are enriched because of your ongoing contributions. Give my regards to Heather (another wonderful individual and karateka, as well)

Best regards,
Vicki
:)
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Ditto all of the above. Raffi's next visit is scheduled for March and I should be around then. Come on down early and I will show you my latest teachings in pistolry.

Rich
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Thanks Vicki and Rich!

Vicki - I hope you won't take off without giving us a heads up so we can do a proper sendoff!

And Rich - I actually took my first trap shooting lesson this summer. Been awhile since I'd fired a shotgun and was happy to break a few of the clays as they flew. Do you ever use traps in tactical training? I know that sport trap courses through the woods are growing in popularity - and obviously from their name they are viewed more for sport than anything else. So I'll be happy to come down early and see how rusty I've gotten. Keeps me humble.
Did you show compassion today?
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Do you ever use traps in tactical training?
No, I do not. I do bring out the shotgun to familiarize people with its operation though. I'm certified by the state to carry one as my weapon of choice but it is not practical.

I'm not a regular trap shooter but it is good to keep the reflexes humming and I do it twice a year. With some pre planning I could set something up next spring but it would be a little expensive.

Let's revisit this in February.

Rich
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”