A little story on keeping it simple...

A place to share ideas, concerns, questions, and thoughts about women and the martial arts.

Moderator: Available

-Metablade-

Post by -Metablade- »

Stryke wrote: And while I beleive I`ll never reach perfection , I dont think I`ll find it battling against myself .
The only true enemy one really has, is ultimately one's self.

Sensei once explained to me: If you fail at any aim in life, the moment you make the reasons for your failure about anyone else but yourself,
..You're wrong.
There's a bit of Metablade in all of us.
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

I don't think making sure your posture is right and your thumbs are tucked during training causes confusion, but it's worrying about if your posture is right and your thumbs are tucked during crunch time that can cause confusion.

I believe that overly worrying about the details that can also screw a person up. The Raffi seminar was one of those lights going off moments for me. Truth be known I wasn't really learning very much that was new, matter of fact most of it was things that many of us had done numerous times but with slight variations. For me the less I thought about style and just focused on what Raffi was showing the more I was able to see that I already knew what he was talking about.

I also don't think it's options that cause confusion, but not being able to adapt to a changing situation and knowing which options are best.

Because if we're not given the answer up front we start to make up our own and that can lead to confusion.
I
I was dreaming of the past...
-Metablade-

Post by -Metablade- »

Perfection is an illusion.
Practicing a simple movement or kata with the mindset of perfection creates mindfulness.
If one is mindful, one can focus.
If one can focus, one can project intent.
Do not hesitate in your intent.
Be as a boulder, crashing straight down from high atop the mountain.
With intent, even the most smallest of things can be unstoppable.
This is the value of simplicity.
There's a bit of Metablade in all of us.
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

I`m right I`m not explaining myself clearly .

Meta your right in the ultimate struggle will always be within .

But I`m on the same thought that there is no ideal method , or thumb position ... even in a style . It should be the principles and mechanics not the asthetic that dictates method IMHO

conformity to an abstract concept of perfection just seems , well ......

Many prefer Faith in there martial arts , there are many paths .
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

Dana Sheets wrote: whether or not thumbs are aligned has quite a bit to do with why and how you train. So while worrying if your thumbs are aligned in your form might not matter to some the personal challenge of maintaining a perfect posture is what some are looking for.
Like Marcus says, perfect for what? Correctly passing forms with all details is important if those details are important to using the system in the activity or they may be important to others simply because "that's the way Sensei X said to do it."
Dana Sheets wrote: Some are happy to continue on faith. Others aren't. However I think it important to know what kind of way you're training before you decide to teach other people. Again - in order to avoid confusion.
Faith?

Faith that unexplained details are important despite not knowing why? Despite not having any lucid explanation or understanding of what they are? Important, but important for what? If the reason for training these details is unknown and unexplained then preservation of an aesthetic "art form" or tradition is the only real “importance” they can serve.
Last edited by JimHawkins on Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

Some folks just aren't the question machines that folks tend to be on these forums. They're creative thinkers and leaders in life - but when they get to the dojo they want to work out, work hard, and have a good time. If it works for them then their training is valid for them.

Not everyone who trains in martial arts seeks to be a teacher, a disciple who will carry on the system, or a master. Some folks just like to train.

Just like some folks like to post on these forums, some like to read, and some avoid them like the plague. All are valid.

But if you do want to understand all the particular esoteric elements of your art, your practice, and your tradition - then you should be sure to seek that out. Funny thing is...I have a sneaking suspicion that those elements vary from person to person. :D Because in the final analysis - everyone will keep what they understand and do well, discard what they don't like and/or don't do well, and add their personal signature to what they're doing. In cooking, in design, in martial arts, in governement, and in life.

[activate=yoda voice]
Profound am I, so early on Saturday.
Grand thoughts for one so small, they are
Perhaps more coffee should I seek
[/yoda voice]
Did you show compassion today?
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Because in the final analysis - everyone will keep what they understand and do well, discard what they don't like and/or don't do well, and add their personal signature to what they're doing. In cooking, in design, in martial arts, in governement, and in life.
Yup, and some won't like the cooking but as long as it doesn't kill the person eating it, that's OK.
I was dreaming of the past...

Return to “Women and the Martial Arts”